MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 03-31-2009, 10:23 PM

Communication essential when asked to photograph a knife

Maker Josh Smith asked me to shoot a couple of fairly simple (simple by Josh's standards that is) knives for his web-site. He didn't want prints or CDs or pictures sent off to publications etc. We discussed things like single view vs composite image, landscape vs portrait orientation, backgrounds, size/dimensions etc. Once I was clear about the intended use and Josh's preferences, I was able to quickly shoot the knives and e-mail him the results for approval. Understanding exactly what was required, looking at Josh's web-site to see how the images would need to fit in and soliciting his feedback so I could adjust and re-shoot if necessary proved to be a great exercise for me. Josh was happy, so I'm happy too. Once again I was struck by the importance of thorough communication as it relates to outcome. Here are my framed versions of the shots (Josh wanted smaller images 640 pix long by 480 pix tall) and no frame or text for use on his site.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 04-01-2009, 07:19 AM

Excellent work, Buddy. Super clear and nicely displayed.

Yes, how well I know. I have had MANY opportunities where I have exceeded a clients expectations right off the bat.

And then there have been times where I have spent mucho time creating a classy photo and finding out later that the client didn't want the sheath, or didn't like it in portrait mode, or was unhappy about the choice of background, or preferred the knife pointing another direction.

Often this would have taken only a moment to sort out if I had known first.

For instance, if your primary need is a website, then by all means, you should choose a landscape mode photo. Browser windows are wide and thin comparatively. Magazines, by contrast are all in 'portrait mode' and *can* display those images easier and they look great.

But, I am learning that for every job that might need a restart or touch-up, there are scads that need no further effort at all. So, it's all about averaging.

I am more proactive now with makers on their needs, and my website clients and I have lengthy discussions about the 'look' they would like.

Thanks for the smart post.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Last edited by SharpByCoop; 04-01-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
I am more proactive now with makers on their needs...
Thanks Coop. With the volume you do I'm sure you have got this down to a science.

What got me thinking about this was that the first shot I did of the folder, I thought it was killer but Josh had something else in mind. I was surprised but realized that he and I hadn't fully worked out what he wanted - my fault really. I still like that first shot though. Here it is:

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 04-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Skilled

Buddy great shots, I do like your first shot much better. I can see a lot more info about that knife in it. But I heard somewhere the customer is always right .

www.turnerknives.com
Old 04-02-2009, 08:10 AM

Isn't that something?! Mike and Josh both like the first shot, and Buddy and I both prefer the second. No one's wrong either. It's all about preference and what feels right to them.

Thanks.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 04-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Enthusiast

Communications

Just thought I would pass this along.
A number of years ago my son was at a world-scouting jamboree in Holland. These kids trade and swab their T-shirts with other kids from all over the world.
He brought one home from Sweden that said.

IT?S ALL ABOUT
COMMUNICATIONS
THE REST IS
TECHNOLOGY

I have never forgot those words and tried to use that philosophy throughout my career.
It doesn't matter what you do in life, take pictures, make knives,design equipment or work at Home Depot.
It?s all about communications .......and the rest is technology.

If you don't understand the problem then a successful solution is just an accident.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Skilled

Just to clarify this is the first shot I prefer .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Thomason
Thanks Coop. With the volume you do I'm sure you have got this down to a science.

What got me thinking about this was that the first shot I did of the folder, I thought it was killer but Josh had something else in mind. I was surprised but realized that he and I hadn't fully worked out what he wanted - my fault really. I still like that first shot though. Here it is:

www.turnerknives.com
Old 04-02-2009, 12:47 PM

Thumbs up

He he he! Got it.

Coop

Old 04-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Steel Addict

I have to agree with most everyone. The second shot posted (the first Buddy shot) is better in my eyes. I just think it pops more and really shows the details. I also like the composureis. Just my 2 cents.

Tags
knife, knives