MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 10-07-2002, 08:56 AM
Steel Addict

heating assembled kydex sheath?????

I went through all the steps to make my sheath. They put the eyelets in and it's all finished. But it doesn't hold the knife as good as I'd like.

Is it okay to put the finished sheath back in the oven to reform it? Will it mess anything up?

I don't have a heat gun.

Thanks,
Ned
Old 10-08-2002, 02:45 AM
Living Legend

Lightbulb kydex work

Ned,

I actually mould all my Kydex sheaths AFTER rivetting, basic shaping. However, I do use a heat gun (which you don't have)and good leather blacksmithing gloves, and I don't use the oven - too little control and possibility of mucking up the oven.

Is it just for minor adjustments ? I do all my detail moulding with a cigarette lighter. You can also use a tea-light candle. With a little practise, you can direct the flame precisely to a small area so that you can mould eg.- a dimple for retention, to shape the lips around the guard.

I use a soft cloth with a very tight weave (old cotton Tshirt) to press the heated area to shape. Hold the sheath upside down and aim the "tip" of the flame at the point desired. Be careful not to scorch the area - it melts.

I can't help but come back to it - try and get a heat gun; I'm sure you can get one for less than $40.

Tell me what you think. Cheers.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 10-08-2002, 08:18 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks Jason. The heat gun may be my next tool purchase.

I put the sheath back in the oven, and it shrunk lengthwise. I think I may have had the oven too hot. The edges rolled too. So, trash that one and try again.......with a heat gun.

Thanks

Ned
Old 10-08-2002, 11:09 AM
Skilled

Ned, I have used a plain old hair dryer, not as quick as a heat gun but it works...

john costa
Old 10-08-2002, 08:53 PM
Living Legend

Heat gun

Guys,

I've had those exact same problems with the oven. Thats why I don't use it anymore. Besides, it takes too long, uses too much gas etc. Not enough control. Use the heat gun and you'll find it so efficient, you'll be churning out Kydex sheaths for everything.

Yes, a heat gun is just a glorified hair dryer, but sometimes one is more expensive than the other.

Cheers.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 10-08-2002, 09:20 PM
Registered

A cheap heat gun only runs around 20 bucks and works great for kydex.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:19 AM
Enthusiast

Do not use your house hold oven for kydex. Most do not even go low enough in temp anyhow. If kydex gets too hot (over about 375) it will release hydrocloric gas which is very nasty stuff.

I have a toaster oven in the shop that is purely for kydex. I never take it higher than 225. It heats up in seconds and provides good even heat. The problem with only using a heat gun is getting the heat uniform. The toaster oven is so fast that I have four molds running when doing sheath batches.

A heat gun is best for fine fitting around the retention point. If you are worried about over heating an important area of the sheath, wrap that area with a wet towel.

For just fine tuning the fit a little amout, a good hair dryer works almost as well as a heat gun. But a good hair dryer costs just as much as a middle of the road heat gun.

Old 10-11-2002, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Guys...

I use a Heat gun Exclusively for heating up to molding temp...

An oven works,, but is overkill as far as I'm concerned...

If you work your heat gun and know a few tricks, you can heat up pretty much anything you want...

It takes a little longer but I prefer the results, as you can control the heat and put it where you want it..

I like my plastic to be at different temperatures in certain areas before molding,,and this can Only be done with a gun..

I go strictly by feel,, and know Exactly when the plastic is ready and at which temperature I want it..

Some knives require a little more or less heat in certain areas...
Its something you get with experience...I use simple cotton gloves and Burnt fingers are quite normal..Leather gloves are too thick and you won't get the feel of the material..

One other thing about molding After you've popped your eyelets..

Not a good idea,,as the holes will move on you,,and you may Seriously blow an eyelet,,making the hole too big and next to useless..
Pop your eyes in after the molding is done and sheath is near finished..

ttyle

Eric....

Leading the Way in
Quality, Custom Synthetic Sheathing
Old 10-13-2002, 05:45 PM
Living Legend

kydex talk

Love the feedback guys,

I like the idea of the toaster, but I'll need to give my own toaster a try this weekend.

I still think that the heat gun is the way to go. There IS one problem that might be fixable with the oven or a toaster. That is, the tendency for the sheath to bow or curve when using the heatgun. RWClark is correct, the heatgun doesn't get the most even heating, which may account for the curve. I found that this happened most often when I heated only one side to mould it (The otherside flat on a table for instance). This problem goes away completely when I also heat the other side as well, not after, but at the same time. Its also got to do with the fact that the heat gun tends to get the temperature up fairly quickly compared to an oven.

I don't use the Kydex eyelets, commonly seen on sheaths. Haven't been able to get them here in Melbourne, Australia. I use plain antiqued finished leatherworking rivets which are hammered flat. I haven't yet had any problem with the holes shifting on me with heating, but I do try not to get those areas too hot. But thats the point. I find I can direct the heat from the heat gun quite well now. But yes, it is definitely possible to completely melt the whole sheath rather quickly with improper technique.

The smell ? My wife always knows when I'm making a kydex sheath. Another reason I don't use the oven. I never thought about the gasses though. Kydex is a polyvinylchlroride-acrylic alloy and yes there must be some degradation of the alloy with loss of some volatile agents like the hydrochloric gas as mentioned by RW Clark. I don't know if that is in fact the stuff that comes off, but it pays to be careful anyway. Get good ventilation happening. This is the sort of stuff that won't be stopped by a dustmask or common respirators.

Thanks. Cheers.

PS.- there's been a terrorist attack in Bali, Indonesia. Huge bomb in a popular nightclub. Quite a number of Aussies have been killed, > 90 critical, > 200missing. I'm not sure about other nationalities. Its devastating. Its all happening again. I lost 8 friends last year in New York / Pennsylvania, I don't know about this time. Haven't heard anything yet. My brother-in-law was just there for a medical conference a few weeks ago. My heart, my prayers go out to all those lost and their loved ones. John 3:16. Matthew 10:16.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 10-13-2002, 09:27 PM
Skilled

Hey Guys,
I know everyone does not have acsess, but I have been in the drycleaning business for 25 yrs, and nothing works as good as putting kydex on a steam press!! I just put the knife in the roughed out sheath and put the steam to it "live steam is app. 375 deg. It works like a charm, molds right to the blade...

john costa

Tags
blade, knife, knives