MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:12 AM
Guru

2 weird questions about ferric

Ok guys so first. I had poured a mix of ferric and water in a casserole type dish (SHH don't tell mom LOL) its just that was the only shape dish I was able to fit this long knife in a be submerged completely. So between everything else going on I forgot I left the ferric in the dish and didn't put it back in containers. So I went in the garage today and found it but I guess over the past couple days about half of it had evaporated. So my question is do you think it was just the water evaporating or the acid along with it. A example is salt water you know how if you have salt water and let it evaporate only the water evaporates and your still left with salt If you pour more water on it you have salt water again. Do you think the dissolved ferric would be similar where I could put more water in it and it would bring it back to around about the same dilution before it evaporated or if the acid evaporated with the water and adding more water would just be diluting whats left too much.

So the reason I ask is because I always got this stuff at radio shack. 3 years ago I had 4 radio shacks somewhat near by....3 have closed and I went to the last one left and they are closing too. Apparently somebody got there the day before me a bought all the ferric they have left. So if I can bring this ferric back it would be helpful. My second question would be I know I can order it online. But does any one have any ideas of where to look locally for this ferric since I have no radio shacks any more?
Old 04-21-2017, 04:41 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The last ferric I bought was from eBay in powdered form....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Skilled

I've left ferric in my shop without tops for weeks at a time with little to no evaporation. I'm wondering if it wasn't the dish soaking it in (or getting dissolved).
Old 04-21-2017, 06:53 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

QUOTE: I'm wondering if it wasn't the dish soaking it in

In any case, I don't think I'd give that dish back to your mom. Better buy her a new one ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-22-2017, 06:35 AM
Guru

JM I don't know what kind of container you use but this was about 9x12 casserole dish so there was a 9x12 area in cntact with the air so that would evaporate a lot quicker than if it was in a container with a smaller opening. I don't THINK it was the dish absorbing it cause I poured theferric back into other containers with a top and I was able to clean the dish out completely I would think if the did was absorbing it would have been much harder to clean. but I could be wrong Ray your right even tho I got it clean mom aint getting it back, she hassnt noticed its missing yet tho
Old 04-22-2017, 06:46 PM
Skilled

If anyone is invited to dtec1 's house for dinner don't eat the green bean casserole. JUst sayin...

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:24 PM
Guru

Dave, is the casserole dish Corningware?

If it is, it is, quite capable of holding ferric acid. Did it get eroded at all? If Corning, no it didn't, stuff is good anything else toss it, especially "made in China". Stuff is better than glass if it's Corning as it is less likely to break.

Place I worked at had acid tanks and added purified water to the tanks to make up for evaporation in answer to your other question Dave. Add some bottled purified water and test it to see what it does. BTW, the tanks were lined with ceramic made by Corning. They had phosphoric acid which is worse than nitric acid. They put that crap into soda drinks and it prevents your body from absorbing calcium, not to mention eating the enamel off your teeth. I used Pepsi once to etch aluminum, it just takes longer, but it does etch it. Had to weld it and it had to be clean, etched overnight in cola. Kind of scary what they put in our food huh? So a big cola two liter bottle cut down the middle will hold ferric acid as well too and you can leave your Mom's dishes alone Dave.

Aluminum cans are lined with a special plastic to keep the acid in the drink from dissolving the can. Just FYI.

Tags
acid, back, bee, buy, case, clean, etch, etched, knife, made, make, plastic, salt, shop, tops, water, weld, what kind