MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 08-10-2001, 11:03 PM
Jon Christensen

Got me a Power Hammer

Well everybody, found myself a Murray 100# power hammer today for $1500.00 . It's in great shape, is still set up for the large belts and has a 5hp three phase motor. The guy even threw in a swedge block that feels like it weighs a little over 100#. Had to drive to wyoming to get it and was a slow drive home with the pickup, that thing is really topheavy (lots of chain and binders to keep it steady).
Had quite the feascoe (spelling) getting it out. Had a guy with a boom truck here to unload it. We had a miscommunication while doing it and the thing slide and tipped over the side of my truck ( it's a long sad story), taking out the side of the box. Man what a letdown after getting such a killer deal..Had some other friends over and we just got it off the side of my truck. Fortunately the truck suffered all the damage and cushioned the blow for the hammer. I can always get a new box.
Live and learn I guess, next time I'll get a large frontend loader to move it.
Anyway, I feel better after getting that off my mind, hope it made sense (I'm kind of rummy after that experience)
Now I need to get it hooked up and HAMMER SOME STEEL.
Jon
Old 08-12-2001, 05:20 AM
Ed Caffrey

power hammer!

HI Jon!
I know how badly you've been wanting a hammer, congratulations! Don't feel too bad about the truck bed, we've all had those "little accidents" when we were so excited about our new toys. If I can ever get some time, I'll come down your way. I have guard drill this weekend, so time is pretty short for now. Anyway, it's 5:18am, and I've gotta get out the door to work. (gotta keep all those guardsmen headed in the right direction). Again, congrats! Also, I'm working on a CD with all the pics of the rope cutting comp. and will get you a copy mailed off.

Old 08-12-2001, 10:26 PM
Tom Ferry

Re: power hammer!

Hey Jon sorry about the truck bed but no sense in stressing over it. I guess I am going to have to work on getting the wife to move to Montana since you now have one bigger than mine. Just figure the cost of a new bed added to what you paid for the hammer is still a bargain. Talk to you later Tom
Old 08-13-2001, 07:29 AM
Jon Christensen

Well, the hammer is now setting upright in front of my shop. A friend came over and we were able to do some comealong and sledge hammer body work to the truck and get the tail gate closing again. Even think I have a replacement box lined up for it.
I'm just glad that no one was hurt and the hammer didn't break. I was extremely lucky.
Jon
Old 08-16-2001, 01:11 AM
NickWheeler

Jon----

First I miss out on Tom's hammer-in, and now you have a 100 lb. hammer, add me never having shop time, and....I'm never gonna catch up to you guys!!!

Grrr....

Really though, sorry about your truck, that part of the story really sucks. Did you grab the guy by his ears and shove your thumbs in his eyes? Or maybe roll him down a hill in a barrel with a sharp piece of the sheet metal???

Let us know how the hammer works out! Glad to hear you have one now. Hey, did you get the press together?

Nick
Old 08-16-2001, 07:14 AM
Jon Christensen

Nick,
Should be able to get the hammer going within the next couple of weeks. The press is almost finished. Mounted the pump and tank yesterday. Still have to stand it up and weld on some brackets for the filter. Then build the control handles, and have the hoses made up. Should have it done next week (fingers crossed).
Can't wait for winter to get here so I don't have to think about all the work to be done around the house.It really cuts into the knifemaking time. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
Jon
Old 08-16-2001, 09:48 PM
Ed Caffrey

hammer and stuff

Just think Jon, about the time you get all of that stuff up, running/together, your just gona have to load it up and move it anyway! :
I'm still optimistic that I'll be showing up at your door saying....."Can Jon come out and play!?"
Old 08-16-2001, 11:14 PM
Tom Ferry

Re: hammer and stuff

Man you guys are going to have too much fun. I am going to have to work on the wife a little more about moving to Montana. Then I will be knocking at Ed's door.
Old 08-17-2001, 06:16 AM
Jon Christensen

Re: hammer and stuff

Believe me Ed, that senario has been on my mind. Don't want to move that heavy bugger too many times. Still haven't heard about the job.

So how large a base does a 100# hammer require. I thought it should be around 3 ft' thick and at least a foot wider and longer than the hammer. Any ideas?
Jon
Old 08-17-2001, 08:13 AM
Plan ol Bill

Move?

Tom, NO - you can't move till you have taught me everything you know. As iggerant (grin) as I am that will be a long time too.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:22 AM
Tom Ferry

Re: Move?

Dont worry Bill the wife aint budging anytime soon
Old 08-17-2001, 02:23 PM
Ed Caffrey

hammer

Jon,
If I remember correctly, the base for a 100lb Little Giant is suppose to be 6' long X 3' wide X 2' thick with rebar every 6". I'm gona fudge on the 50lb I've got. I'm going to get RR ties and bolt them together just like I did for the 25lb hammer. Of course my floor in the blacksmith shop is not concrete either, so if it works like the 25lb did, it will sort of work it's way into the floor just enough to stop it from walking around the shop. The best trick I've seen (and use), is to slip a piece of old conveyor belt under the hammer before you bolt it down. This helps quiet things a bit, and really reduces the vibration the floor must absorb.
Old 08-17-2001, 06:05 PM
Michael Wise

power hammer

I found a 70# Champion powder hammer last Jan. and when I got it to my shop I had to move it nearly 75 yards through the back yard and into the shop. My wife and I used three pieces of plywood and 5 pieces of 1/2 water pipe and well you can guess the rest. Took us around 5 hours to roll it to the shop. Dang thing probably weighs around 1500#

I used three layers of 6x6 timbers with the top of the third layer flush with the ground. The base is 3 feet by 4 feet. I used 1/2 x 8" lag bolts to bolt it down and so far it's doing OK. It hasn't settled any yet and it gets used quite a bit.

Micky

Tags
forging