MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 02-01-2005, 03:34 PM
Steel Addict

Question Advice and help needed

Sorry, I'm asking only due to my utter confusion about getting started. I have been preusing the forum, trying to pin down the basics I need. Could you all please take pity on me and supply some advice? I'm not "wealthy" so I am going to have to rely on hand gravers (not one of those $$$$ air-gravers), books and hopefully DVD/Video's for myself... At this point I am confused about what tools to get, etc. I do have a list though and here's what I am trying to find out:

1. Tools needed for a basic engraving setup that won't "break the bank" but will allow for expansion/upgrade to more/better tools as my skills improve.
2. Recomended beginners book or books.
3. Materials needed to get started practicing, bearing in mind I am interested in engraving for knifemaking.
4. Beginners DVD/Video training material.
5. Suggested suppliers, hopefully with websites.
6. Online Sites with information on how to get started and engraving technique.
7. Of course....Anything else that you all can suggest.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Roesch
Chattanooga, TN
Old 02-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Master

Mike,

I am currently working on a suppliers list that we are gpoing t post on the forum here. I hope to have it all compiled and sent to Tim soon. That will help you with the how aand where to find stuff.

As far as tools, You will probably be starting with a hand held hammer and chissel if budget is a serious concern. There is nothing wrong with that it just has a harder learning curve and its not as efficeint. You also will end up making your own tools. I have yet to see hammer chissels for sale from most of the suppliers and the hammers that are availabel on the market are cheap made and about 5 times too heavy for serious use (at least the ones I have seen). You will aslo need some sort of vise with a smoothly rotating base. Stones to sharpen on are need too.

At this time the best videos available are the ones fron Lynton McKenzie. Lots of good info there. The Art OF Engraving by James Meek is a common book but it is very hard for a beginner to understand. The most common review of that book is, "Once I figured out how to engrave I understood what the book was saying" One book I would highly recomend is "Drawing and Understanding Scroll Design" by Ron Smith. Excellent book on scroll anatomy and design. You might also check the Fega website and see if they have any of their seminar tapes available that deal with hammer and chissel techniques.

I don't kow of any intsructional websites. Some one else will have to come up with that one for you

If your goal is to engrave knives then pracitice on common knife materials. Nickel silver, 416 stainless, mild steel, brass and the like. Any material you might end up engraving on a knife. Go heavy on the 416 there is a lot of it out there. It is probably the most common bolster/gaurd material today.

God bless,
Ray

ray@rcoverengraving.com
Old 02-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Steel Addict

Everything Ray said is pretty much right on. Since you are just down the road, you are welcome to run up sometime and see whats going on.
Scott
Old 02-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Master

One thing I would like to point out here for all who want to learn anything. An education is never cheap! If you want to learn to engrave it is goint to cost you something.

The way I see it, you have two investment plans to choose from when learning to engrave.

1. Spend a little money and a whole lot of time
2. Spend a lot of money and much less time.

Either way it going to cost you both time and money. The choice comes down to which one is more valuable to you (time or money) and which one you are willing to spend more of.

1. You can spend a few thousand dollars for good modern equipment and take a class to teach you. The average person can be doing decent engraving within a year with this method.

2. You can spend a few hundred dollars for basic hand tools and books and figure it out on your own from there. The average person can be doing decent engraving within 3-5 years with this method. If they stick with it that long.

Point is.................. There is no inexspenive way to learn to engrave. You just have a couple options on how you want to pay for it.

Ray

ray@rcoverengraving.com
Old 02-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Steel Addict

im not sure how much instructional info can be found here, but here are 2 websites with a wealth of info. it will help you learn the engravers talk and understand engravers terminology.

http://engravingarts.com/main.html

This guy is unbeleavable!!!

D?Angelo Engraving

Wayne A. D'Angelo
Old 02-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

D'Angelo, just wanted to say thank you ref: your link to Francolini ( this guy is unbelieveable). Although my skill level has a long way to go, I learned more in 5 minutes of reading his short tutorials with pictures than from any of my reading in the books I have. I'll get there just give me time.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Steel Addict

You are welcome Goatwhiskers!!...I figured that link to Francolinis website with his tutorial on sculpted gold inlay would give the people without the knowledge a little bit better of an idea on what us engravers really do,and the amount of work that is involved. Glad you enjoyed it!!

D?Angelo Engraving

Wayne A. D'Angelo

Tags
knife, knives