MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 12-28-2001, 07:29 PM
Knifemaker01

Just wondering how others here might

handle a similar situation..? Just a few weeks ago someone ordered three of my knives from a purveyor's site. The knives were buffed/sharpened/shipped immediately after receiving payment. The customer, in turn shipped them...to the purveyor, with a somewhat insulting (to me anyway) letter, without contacting me...or the purveyor about his disatisfaction, before mailing. Here in part is his letter to the purveyor.

" with all due respect, I realize aesthetics are subjective and
beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but these knives are absolutely
worthless (no insult intended). Their geometry, lack of any balance,
guage of steel, temper(if there is any) and grind, make them a liability
for use. The 6" hunter has a divot in the edge of the blade, the
sheaths don't fit and the one that almost does is falling apart! My
cheap stamped steel kitchen knives are better made. I can't use these
with any degree of confidence or prode..."(snip).

Since I have never had a complaint of this sort, and the exageration of the claims I have to wonder if the guy hasn't just overextended himself and needs the money or something. I mean, come on..."the grind"? What's the matter, is he afraid he'll cut himself?LOL
But if the guy is that disatisfied I will refund the money if knives return in original condition (without a "divot").

Anyway, the question is....how should this refund be handled? Would you eat the free shipping (Priority/insured) costs? Would you also eat the purveyor's commision? ....?? Thanks guys, this is kinda leaving a bad taste..

Steve

Old 12-28-2001, 07:51 PM
Neil Ostroff

Steve,

I am a Custom Knife Dealer so I won't comment on the Purveyors commission aspect.

But in regards to the rest of the story, in my humble opinoin, just refund the guy his money LESS all the shipping and handling costs and you and the purveyor move on and forget this guy. You don't need people like this.

Sure, there might come a time that a product needs attention by the maker but in my experience there situations are few and far between.

But there is always a professional and courteous way for anyone to make a complaint or comment.

It is very possible that this buyer bought over his head and needed to recoup his cash. So he took the childish way out and put the blame elsewhere instead of just calling and trying to work it out with the purveyor and yourself.

It's a shame that you and the purveyor have to take a loss like this but I am sure both you and the purveyor have more knives to make and sell so why don't you just forget this loser.

Happy New Year and best wishes.

Neil

Old 12-28-2001, 10:34 PM
Coop747

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Growth is painful.

Steve, I think Neil is right-on. No matter how off-base this customer is, as a burgeoning knifemaker, you will do yourself the greatest service by handling this without flinching and with no fee's whatsoever. This person has some pretty strict ideas of what he wants in his knives, and, truth be told, you would do well to talk to him about it one-on-one.

You show great character already by posting this, and there isn't a one of us who can't improve somehow. Including this customer in his handling of his dissatisfaction. Nonetheless, I would bet you would come away from that conversation better prepared for either another crackhead customer, or a better set of knives. Either way you win.

Steve, I have never handled any of your knives at all, so I am absolutely unqualified to make a quality comment. I sure hope he is WAY off-base.

Coop
Old 12-29-2001, 01:18 AM
JossDelage

Here is my recommendation...

...from a purely business perspective. Give full refund, and eat the cost of the shipping. Then try to get in touch with the guy, if you trust you can keep your calm, and get his feedback. That should help you decide if he's acting childishly or if theres a true misunderstanding, or a more serious problem. Maybe the handles didnt support the transport / humidity / temp change? Maybe the nives were not packaged properly? Etc... You should check first that the knives or sheaths have not been damaged, or course.

JD
Old 12-29-2001, 08:26 AM
george tichbourne

Re: Here is my recommendation...

Once in a very long while you get a customer like that, as Neil said he probably overextended himself and just wanted the money back.

Shrug it off and take pains in the future to prevent it happening again.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:20 AM
Gary Mulkey

Steve,

Most people who buy custom knives to use, buy them individually and not in lots of three. Chances are these were bought for Christmas presents and he changed his mind. If you need to add a little humor to the situation, think of the poor smucks who lost out on a quality custom knife in favor of a pair of socks.

Gary
Old 12-29-2001, 09:50 AM
Knifemaker01

Thanks guys, I kinda needed a little input on the situation. As I said this is a first. Granted, this was some of my very first work, but priced accordingly. I also realize that there is *always* room for improvement, but the feedback I've gotten up to this point has always been *very* positive. This one smelled of fish from the beginning, so I guess I'll stay with my usual buyers that buy several knives a year. Some, in person, but all are repeat customers. This has been a learning experience for sure. Thanks again guys.

Steve
Old 12-29-2001, 12:16 PM
MJHKNIVES

Steve, I agree, something smells here and I dont think it is the quality of your knives. I would get the name from the "purveyor" and look into this a lot more. Something definitely on the strange side here, like a hidden agenda. I would refund the $$ up front though
Old 12-29-2001, 12:45 PM
Knifemaker01

Well as said, if the knives *return in original condition*, or maybe even if not the full refund will be made....no problem. It will be handled professionally though. Thanks guys for all the input.

Steve

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives