MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:53 AM
Registered

Where to find decent steel in Johnson City Tn. Area?

Sorry if I posted in the wrong area, but I'm a noob myself. I have been working with spikes and mower blades for about a year now. I think it's time I move forward with a greater ambition and make my first good quality knife. Problem is I can't find any good steel. I would like to find some 1075. Any one know any place around Johnson City Tn. area that supplies steel?
Old 11-20-2014, 04:29 AM
Steel Addict

I could not find anything locally since the steels used are pretty specialized. I found alphaknifesupply.com to be very reasonable and shipping cost were decent. You might search online or here in the forums for a supplier.

If you can find someone local that sure would br nice, however the local steel providers in Montana didn't carry the correct alloys.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
In recent years "knife" steel had become a highly specialized kind of thing. Only a few who live close to a supplier have the luxury of purchasing knife steel locally.

I've been at this a long time, and have always had to "order in' the steels I use. There are only about 2-3 outfits that sell knife steels, that I will purchase from. That being said, I'm kind of different then many, when I buy steel, I buy in much larger quanitites then most. It's not uncommon for UPS to send a single truck to my place with nothing but my steel order on board.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-20-2014, 09:00 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Assuming you need slightly less steel than Ed Caffrey uses, you can buy very small quantities from any knife supply place (Jantz, usaknifemakers, Texas Knifemakers, alphaknifesupply). If you want 1075 you might try Kelly Cupples (search this forum for his phone or email). If you can't get the 1075 try 1080 or 1084 instead, those are more commonly used than 1075. Stay away from 1095 until to acquire a fast professional quenching oil of some kind....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Hall of Famer

The New Jersey Steel Baron, aka Aldo Bruno, carries 1075 as well as other "blade" steels.

Doug

Tags
1084, 1095, bee, blade, blades, common, knife, knife supply, make, noob, problem, sell, small, steel, supplies, supply