MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 AM

Finishing G10

Quick question from a newbie with the G10 material. As far as the final finish, is it pretty much like everyhting else? I have it sanded down to 1200 right now and it has a nice satin finish, but does show oils from hands though. Can I just hit it with a Pink or White Rouge now to seal it and put a nice luster sheen on it? Or what are the tricks out there? This material is my new favorite - just wish the cost would come down a little.

Also, I am currently getting my raw G10 material from Janntz Supply for about $18 for a 5"x10" board in 1/4" thickness. I prefer 3/16". Anyone out there have better prices somewhere?

.....Thanks in advance, Brad
Old 03-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Guru

You can buff it, but it will take a "plastic" look, in my experience. Perhaps with pink rouge it will come out softer. I usually coat it with danish oil, since it dries hard it provides a lasting "oiled" finish that doesn't get drawn out with your hands.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Guru

Check masecraft for G10, also check Alpha Knife Supply and USA Knifemaker.

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 03-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Guru

I never thought about putting danish oil on it. I generally do a glass bead-blast finish on G10 and micarta as well as the blades since that seems to be the most popular request I get. I've also done 600 grit wet sand followed by white rouge for a nice finish, which is my personal favorite.

I get most of my G10 from Alpha, but sometimes go other places (Halpern Titanium) if I can't find the color I want.

http://www.alphaknifesupply.com/micarta.htm
http://www.halperntitanium.com/

Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast

On black G10, I sand to 220 then loose buff with a black compound. I makes it shiny, but not SHINY.

Al P
Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Guru

Hi Don, I also blast my G10, just with AO media. The blasting tends to dull the color quite a bit and oiling it is how I was first told to bring it back. The Danish oil I came up with because I didn't like the fact that my hands would draw out the oil when I just used Balistol or WD40.

I want to try Al's suggestion soon, I would like to be able to buff some G10 handles but haven't found the right way yet.

This quote pains me:

Tags
knife