MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:53 AM

hydraulic press plans / ideas

Hi all looking at some point in the near future to build a hydraulic press and need to get some info / plans / tips on the building of one ?
I?m living in suburbia and have a standard size shed 6x4 so room and noise will be a issue and the cost is always a factor.

So what is the best ram to use? size and speed etc. and where's the best place to pick one up from . I've spied this one on eBay 20 RAM 150mm Stroke NEW | eBay is this the sort of thing that could be used ?
I confident that I will be able to make the frame up with out any issues but some tips from other builds will not go astray .
So any help or a point in the right direction will be much appreciated.
Photos of your builds would also be of much help .

Cheers Lee
Old 05-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

My press was built by Ron Claiborne, a guy who built these presses for many years. This press has a prince cylinder rated for 3000 psi with a 5" bore, an 8" stroke, and the ram is 2" in diameter. You need more stroke than you might think because some of the dies tend to get fairly large. Noise isn't much of an issue - there is a high pitched whine from the pump and motor but that is only heard while you are actually pressing something, otherwise the machine is turned off. Your pump needs to handle at least 11 gal per minute if I recall correctly.

My press: http://www.rayrogers.com/forgingpress.htm

You can get the cylinder and pump from Northern Equipment or from Surplus City ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to TJ Smith
Hi
Take Rays press and turn it upside down and you got mine. I built it, there are plenty of ideas and plans around to help you out.
I used a 4.5 cylinder, with a 3 inch rod, and a stroke of 16-18 inches. I can use 10 inches of the stroke. I added a 16 gal pump and a 5 hp 1750 rpm motor.
Near as I can tell I get about 2.5 inches per sec speed.
If you gonna try and stuff all this into a 6x4 shed , Lots a luck.
Take care
TJ Smith

Old 05-16-2015, 11:57 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Ya big tease you !!!

Old 05-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Master

If you weren't aware of it, consider the booklet by Doc Batson on the American Bladesmith Society website. You might also consider joining, and you may be close to other ABS members out in your neck of the woods. Best of luck with it.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Whatever you do, DO YOUR HOMEWORK! You simply cannot overbuild a forging press, so whatever you think you need for a structure, DOUBLE IT. Frankly, I'm surprised that we don't see more people getting hurt or killed, because I've seen a lot of folks, do a lot of dumb things when it comes to building a forging press. You are dealing with extreme forces, that often do not act, or react as you might think.

Personally, I think anything less then a 6" dia cylinder is too small, but we see smaller all the time, because they are cheaper and easier to obtain.

Just as an example, I had an indvidual ask me to come help him with a press he was building.....I went, and when I got there was shocked by what I found.... 4" cylinder, with a 15gpm single stage pump, and a 5hp, 3450 motor....long story short, his setup would have been pushing around 3400psi at max output. When I looked at the hydraulic hoses he had mounted, they were 2k psi burst rated! I told him I would not do anything until he upgraded the hoses, and his response was to whine about how he couldn't afford "those high priced hoses." Don't know if he ever finished his press, but I told him I wasn't gona be an accessory to "stupid", and left.

Unless that shed is made out of concrete, or some other non-flammable material, there is no way I would put a press in there, other then to store it. I've had hot flux squirt 20' across my shop, and chunks of yellow hot scale hit the floor constantly when I'm working.... just a bad idea.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 05-17-2015, 06:31 AM

Cheers gang for all the tips and spec numbers this will be most useful to start to put this project together .
Ed the shed is an all steel construction ( and colour bond panels ) and is 6x4 meters in size (I may have given the impression that it was 6x4 feet ) but squirting hot liquid metal is duly noted .
Ray thanks for the photos of the press just the size I thought I would be going for .
Thanks for the tips of where to get stuff from but I?m living in the lucky country down here in Aus. so I will need to source Rams etc. locally.

Thanks for the help
Lee

Tags
abs, art, bee, bladesmith, build, building, dies, forge, forging, handle, hot, htm, hydraulic press, made, make, material, motor, press, rod, scale, steel, store, tips, woods