MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:19 AM

knife blank

I have designed a knife that I would like to make. I don't know the best way to cut the blank, grind the bevel etc. any suggestions that a newbie guy could make work? I plan to have it heat treated at Texas Knifemaking supply and I can handle putting the scales on.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:31 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

The 'best way' is the way you have available and the know-how to use. Hacksaw, bandsaw, Porta-Band, angle grinder...virtually anything that can cut metal can help you profile your blade. Bevels are commonly done with files and sandpaper but many manage to use angle grinders or one of the small belt sanders intended for wood. Where there is a will, etc etc ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-03-2017, 02:29 PM
Guru

First knives I made were with a 3x21 belt sander for doing wood flooring. I clamped mine to a bench and ground many knives with it until it burnt out from metal chips. It was a really cheap one too and surprisingly easy to use.

I made two 12" daggers from 1080 with an angle grinder. You could make most any knife with an angle grinder, just takes practice. I used to glue 220 grit sandpaper to worn out discs too. I finished the daggers by hand, but most knife makers finish by hand as well anyway.

The grinder determines how much hand-finishing though. No needed hand finishing; Scotch brite belt to satin finsh, to like my clamped sander with finest belt being 120 grit. The 12" dagger was a lot of hand finishing , I mean lots. Am retired and just make a couple of knives a month. I made two daggers, but the second I haven't started the finish on. I have dozens of blades from years ago I have not finished. Screwed up a couple though, am not a big fan of making handles I guess.LOL

Last edited by jimmontg; 03-03-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:35 PM
Guru

we can all give better advice if we knew what equipment you have available with out that like ray said however it works it works
Old 03-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Guru

Exactly Dave.

I was just pointing out that you can grind a knife very cheaply from files (actually not so cheap for good ones) to hand held belt grinders to angle grinders. I made my 12" daggers with an angle grinder while I had a 1x42-8"disc belt sander. Overall length was 18"+. Angle grinder was easier.

As a matter of fact if I was to make big 18"+ knives I would start them with a hand held angle grinder first. It really is easier on something that big even with a 2x48 I have. For stock removal there are many ways to go about it. Cheapest is a 3x21 belt sander at Home Depot. Faster than a file and cheaper than the high quality files. I still have good sharp Nicholsons files from the 70s and they cost like $25 in the large sizes.
Do not forget taping sandpaper to wooden sticks either for finishing. A 1/4 by 1.5 by 10" will be very good for finishing a knife, a piece of steel is good too. I have several, some with no backing and some with 1/16" cork backing.

If poor and can't afford the big grinders it's all a great place to start. I find the sanding sticks very helpful on finishing the edges of my knife sheaths. Your's is almost ready Dave btw.

Last edited by jimmontg; 03-03-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:21 PM
Guru

AHA! JIM but he didn't ask the cheapest way he asked for the best.....MAYBE the answer would be FIRST a metal cutting band saw, Then a $1500 KMG grinder with another $800 bucks worth of accessories OH AND DONT FORGET THE BELTS!!!! And then (a tip I took from you jim) Some diamond paste on sand paper for the finish! Well that's the best for me anyway LOL I got very lucky that I got that kmg grinder very early on. I never made a blade with files....we all know I am extremely impatient (probilly my addictive personality at work) to me files were way to slow, like rubbing sticks togather to make a fire when you can go to the gas station and get a lighter. I did make about 10 blades using a angle grinder to cut the basic shape and the a 4x36 belt grinder (the one with a disc on the side) Lets just say my fingers were not very happy! Some guys I have seen (jim maybe your one???) are like a surgeon with a angle grinder NOT ME I can cut out shapes and that's pretty much as far as I get with one of them......There are MANY ways to skin a cat and even MORE ways to make a knife....my advice Get the best equipment you can and figure out what is combfortable for YOU! you cant really do much more than that

Jim take your time I cant wait to see it but no rush
Old 03-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast

seams like just yesterday I made my first knife with a 1x32 jet belt grinder, well a little over a year ago lol, one thing I will agree with is to buy the best you can afford, I used that 1x32 for one knife, just one and then bought the grizzly which I use today, I have made a dozen or so knifes using a file and file jig but just don't like the amount of time it takes to bevel a knife with a file, I find the angle grinder works great for cutting out my designs.
Jim I put electrical tape around the wheel on my grinder which stopped the belt from traveling, single row in the center of the wheel about 1/16 thick did it for me, works like a charm.

Carl

Tags
advice, angle, bandsaw, belt, bevel, blade, easy, files, grind, grinder, handle, heat, how to, knife, knife blank, knifemaking, knives, make, metal, newbie, profile, scales, small, supply, wood