MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:41 AM
Skilled

Brisket slicer

chef knife for local BBQ food truck. he wanted something large enough to slice up briskets with. handle material picked to match the trailer
BLADE: 1/8" 52100 steel, 12.5"
hand finished to 9micron (1800grit) holy crap that was a ton of hand sanding. :-/
HANDLE: full tang, w/red jasper composite, 416 stainless, dovetailed bolsters, and mini corby rivets
OAL: 18"

thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2350.jpg (83.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2354.jpg (124.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 07-24-2016, 07:07 AM
Skilled

Well that looks like the tool for the job! That's a good looking slicer. I think I could use something like that myself!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 07-24-2016, 08:18 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

That is beautiful work, just what I'd expect from you. I'd worry a bit about that handle if that is recon stone. If it is, it will probably break the first time he drops it ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-24-2016, 01:03 PM

Great profile! I like it!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-24-2016, 02:07 PM
Skilled

Going back and looking again. Something about the slight upsweep of the spine of the blade and then the slight downturn of the handle. It seem counter-intuitive to me...but it really works. I could see how ergonomically, this would really work "just right" for slicing big slabs of meat like briskets. With that full flat grind on a blade of that size @ 1/8" thick, I bet it will take on a wicked sharp edge too.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 07-24-2016, 02:39 PM
Guru

Great looking knife!
Old 07-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Good looking knife but I share Ray's concern about the handle material if it's recon stone. Just hope your friend keeps it out of the dishwasher.

Doug

Old 07-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Enthusiast

Very nice !!!
Old 07-25-2016, 09:36 AM
Skilled

Excellent work as usual Damon.

By the way, I still carry that neck knife that I bought from you May 2015 by SMKW. I still love that little guy.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:49 PM
Skilled

thanks for all the kind comments everyone.

Ray: I made him a knife not a hammer. I understand what youre referring to though.
I guess I should have gone the "tactical kitchen knife" rout and used G10 or some such toxic fiberglass like material. but I HATE that stuff. if its specifically requested then ill have to deal with it then. he got a smaller knife from me last year and the sanitizers and detergents have not been kind to the handle of that one. its still in tact and solid, but it no longer looks like the beautiful material it once did. this stuff might loose its high gloss shine, but its not going to fade or change color in 6 months time either.
what material do you suggest to use in its place?

WNC Goater: OH YES!!! it got stupit sharp

Doug: yes he does know where not to put a knife.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:39 PM
Guru

Nice knife Damon. How did you cut the stone? I've been thinking of getting some reconstituted turquoise and malachite for spacers, but I only have a jeweler's saw and the blades I have though they have very fine teeth, I don't think would cut stone. Do I need diamond blades?

Here's a tip on saving some sanding time. I take the knife down to a 600 grit finish and then use diamond compound on leather glued to a 1x6" piece of wood. 500 grit looks like 1000 grit and it gets there fast as well. The stuff is great, I'll bring you some if I ever get up that way as I would like to see your engravings. here's a link for quality diamond compound if anyone's interested, oh they have Cratex rounds for jeweling too.
https://www.borideabrasives.com/Publ...e/Default.aspx
Old 07-27-2016, 02:05 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Nice knife Damon. How did you cut the stone? I've been thinking of getting some reconstituted turquoise and malachite for spacers, but I only have a jeweler's saw and the blades I have though they have very fine teeth, I don't think would cut stone. Do I need diamond blades?

Here's a tip on saving some sanding time. I take the knife down to a 600 grit finish and then use diamond compound on leather glued to a 1x6" piece of wood. 500 grit looks like 1000 grit and it gets there fast as well. The stuff is great, I'll bring you some if I ever get up that way as I would like to see your engravings. here's a link for quality diamond compound if anyone's interested, oh they have Cratex rounds for jeweling too.
https://www.borideabrasives.com/Publ...e/Default.aspx
jewelers saw will work fine for cutting it. id suggest a #4 blade or larger. I just use the same metal cutting band saw I use for cutting everything else.

that link has a lot of very useful products. but those diamond compounds are a bit pricy for just a few grams to be using on a knife blade.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:20 PM
Guru

Yes they are pricey Damon, but the Engis brand they have is in ten gram tubes and once it is worked into the leather it lasts a long time. They also have an Adamas brand, but it isn't on their website which is much less expensive too. It's made by their Canadian subsidiary. Call and ask them to email you a price list Pdf.

I have 5 tubes of differing sizes and have had them for a long time. When I go to finish a knife I just put a little dab on and a couple of drops of Tap Magic cutting fluid and finish the knife. Takes about 10 minutes to take from 600 finish to 1000 grit finish. The stuff works fast. Surprised me the first time I used it. Now it's all I use past a 600 grit satin finish.

There is some Tech Diamond Technologies compounds for sale on Amazon that is less expensive, but their customer service is slow. I ordered three grits and concentrations and only received one of what I ordered the other two were way off (400 grit for 1200 etc.) and it took them about a month to straighten it out. Needless to say they are kind of a hit or miss deal.

Last edited by jimmontg; 07-28-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Tags
52100, 52100 steel, back, blade, bolsters, chef knife, edge, first time, flat, flat grind, full tang, grind, handle, handle material, knife, material, neck knife, profile, sanding, sharp, stainless, steel, stone, tang