MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:04 PM
Guru

got the new motor but...

so guys I got my new motor YAY right? nope....well I put the new one on (not taking notice to the fact the belt was still suck nothing moving yeh I know should of noticed but didn't oh and so focused on getting the new one in also didn't notce once I got the old motor off the shaft spins freely no problem) so go to turn the new motor on bang same thing as the old one I know the shaft spins on that one cause I almost droped it cause it spun as I picked it up...so I pull the platen arm out just to get some weight off of it and then turned the whole thing around to get a look at the drive wheel once I turned it around all of a sudden it spins all I can think of is I knocked something loose??? however now that I can spin it by hand I can hear a lil bit of "scratching" not a lot just a lil coming from where the pulley is mounted to the shaft (NOT the one on the motor the one opisate that on the grinders shaft) I am wondering if the bearing went but the I thought about it I didn't think there is a bearing tthere because I think the pulley mounts directly to the grinders drive shaft then on the other end of the shaft is the drive wheel (no sounds from that side) so idk what the deal was I think I am going to take the pulley off and make sure nothing got stuck in there anyone have any ideas of something I may have over looked.....I really should have double checked everything before ordering a new motor but I was so mad and really the motor seemed to be the issue so now I got a extra motor I am sure ill find use for it somewhere...happy its working but not so happy at the same time deffinitly mistake on my part
Old 10-07-2016, 01:51 PM
Guru

Try to send the motor back and get a refund.

Sounds like a frozen bearing, but how tight is your tension on the drive belt Dave? The motor shouldn't have froze, but turned the pulley and burned up the belt. One HP motor right? I'm not familiar with your machine, but if I put too much pressure on my sanding belt to stop it the motor keeps turning and would burn up the drive belt if I didn't stop, but I have a half HP on a 1x42. so kind of overpowered, but I have an 8 in disc too. It's a Delta and pretty old, ie. it wasn't made in China. It's belt driven too. but I don't have too much tension on the belt, just like my alternator belt it pushes down a half inch when I replaced the belt on the pulleys.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Guru

I can't see very well there, but it looks like you have two pillow block bearings in line from the drive pulley.

Just saw the flange blocks bearings and the pillow block one, they have grease zerks or nipples on them, you need a grease gun to lube them, find out what kind of grease you are supposed to use. Have you ever greased them Dave?

Last edited by jimmontg; 10-07-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Guru

Oh, I would replace the one making the scratchy noise even after you grease it and it works, just to be safe as they don't cost that much. Can you get a refund on the motor Dave, will they accept it back? Some places don't refund electronics. not even motors.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:57 PM
Guru

jim I don't know about a refund I assume not as I already opened it wired the switch into it and turned it on...I did send Beaumont a email asking just to see what they say but I am assuming its mine no big ill either find a use for it or find some one to sell it to. however I told you my mother lent me the money for the motor lol lets just say she wasn't so happy when I said guess what didn't need the new motor....either way the money I get for the next couple weeks will go to her anyway....but I also wrote down everything that happened from the surege protector strip cutting out and then the grinder ceasing all the way to my realization of it not being the motor today and sent to in a email to Beaumont to see what they think might be the problem. jim I kinda think your right and it being one of the bearings by the pillow block and nope never greased them didn't know you had to ill grease it and keep use at a slow pace till I hear from Beaumont and figure out what went wronng
Old 10-07-2016, 04:38 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Well, if its all working now then go ahead and use it. If it is one of the bearings it will probably make itself known pretty soon. You can't fix a bearing, they have to be replaced so just use it until it fails so badly that there is no doubt where the problem is ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Guru

ray....very true if I do that at least ill be 100% sure on what it is....I have been thinking about replacing some of the wheels like the drive wheel and the tracking wheel anyway because they are starting to get really worn down. those lil ridges on them got worn away long ago. but at the same time its not absolutely needed at this point just something I have been thinking about. hopefully it will last a couple weeks till I can payback the dept for the motor then at that point I can think about replacing things if things get worse on one hand I agree wait till a failure happens but on the other hand what if I wait and it does fail at a time I don't have money in my pocket then the whole thing could go down for a unknown period of time....but for now its deffinitly a wait and see thing
Old 10-07-2016, 05:38 PM

You ask what if you don't have the money to fix it when the unknown part finally fails. What difference does that make? If you don't run the machine you won't make any money from knives and you'll have to wait until whatever other sources of money you have can generate some money. Waiting gains you nothing. On the other hand, if the part doesn't fail right away you might get a knife or two done and generate some money.

I can't see any real down side to using the machine until the part fails....

Old 10-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Guru

OH no no no I didn't mean that I wasn't going to use it! trust me if that belt will turn I will deffinitly be using it. what I ment was...say I start using it now like I said mom has to get paid back before anything that for sure but lets say I pay her in 2 weeks wich is what I plan some money from another source and I am in the middle of a knife for my aunts step son with a agreed price of 220$ so in 2 weeks she gets paid back. so say in 3 or 4 weeks I would have the money to replace the bearings and maybe tracking wheel. my point was on one hand if I have the money in 3 or 4 weeks and the grinder is still running (but probilly still needs the bearings) do I spend the money then or wait until one of those bearings gets destroyed where it cant be used at all and what if at that point I had spent that other money and then I have to wait a week to get more then a week for shipping....when I could have replaced it when I have the money that was my point that's all....the grinder runs as it is the belt turns so I am deffinitly going to use it no matter what until it either ceases up again or blows up like I said if that belt turns I can remove steel that's all I need
Old 10-07-2016, 08:48 PM

That argument assumes you know what bearing to replace and, as I understand it, you do not know which one has the problem right now. So, if it has not failed by the time you can afford to replace the bearing you either have to make an effort to save the money until it does fail or you need to replace all the bearings because if you replace less than all of them you might not replace the bad one and you can bet that one will fail later after your money is spent. On the other hand, I don't know how many bearings are involved so maybe you will be replacing all of them if you replace any. But, usually the bearings in a pillow block can be individually replaced. I don't have any idea how many other bearings there might be that could be the culprit...

Old 10-07-2016, 08:55 PM
Guru

Unhappy First off Dave.

Before you run your grinder, go to an auto parts store and buy a small grease gun and tell them it is for a pillow block bearing grease fitting and ask what kind of grease should I use? Dave, the bearings may last for five years if you grease them often. Find the maintenance schedule for your KMG or call Beaumont and ask them. You MUST put some grease into those bearings. Do you have the flat four bolt hole flange bearings or the two bolt hole pillow block bearings? The pillows are easier to take off and btw you have standard size grease fittings. Grease them they have small and regular sized grease guns, you just need the small one unless a friend has one or you inherited one from your Dad. I'll add that any grease is better than no grease. Most any auto grease will be sufficient, but hi-speed grease is preferable. If you can take one bearing off easily, take it to the auto part store with you.

Oh, and store your grease gun in a plastic tub of it's own, they leak a little oil. Something cheap or a plastic bag even. Ask a friend or family member who knows to help you with this stuff.

Last edited by jimmontg; 10-07-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:59 AM
Guru

yeh ray you've got a point I THINK I may know wich one it is as only one is making that lil scratching sound but I could be wrong. JIm yes you assumed right in the fact that I inherited grees guns from my dad (I have probilly 7 or 8 of them in all different sizes. also probilly every kind of auto greese is in my garage and what isn't there is at my bro in laws house so maybe ill use that for now and see how it goes. and just wait for something to break or at least get worse to the point where I know exactly what it is
Old 10-08-2016, 06:18 PM
Guru

May not break if greased.

That is probably what caused the problem in the first place. What did you think those grease fittings were for Dave? Or did you know that's what they were? If you weren't taught about cars and stuff you wouldn't know.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Skilled

Wat...a KMG has grease fittings? Oops...

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 10-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Guru

Talking

You didn't know? lol

Tags
art, auto, back, bearing, bee, belt, block, fittings, grinder, hand, knife, knives, made, make, making, motor, plastic, pocket, problem, sanding, sell, steel, switch, what kind, wheels