MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:05 AM
Enthusiast

Lol I just posted a link to the KMG for hollow grinding in your other thread. Didn't know you already had one

Thanks for the kind words, I replied to your PM but I case anyone else was wondering all these knives will be heat treated by Peters Heat Treat. I'm experimenting with my own HT methods but that's only for the Carbon Steels. I don't have the equipment to do stainless. Yet.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:11 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
CPM154 can be air quenched but you'll get one to two points higher hardness at quench if you quench in oil. Even when air quenched it is in air at a 4 bar minimum, not still air. Stainless is pricey compared to carbon steels so you want to get the best results possible. Besides, the commercial knife manufacturers nearly always choose the simplest hardening process for any given steel because it is easier, cheaper, and faster. Our advantage as custom knife makers is that we can take the time to squeeze the most from out blade steel and that is one of the main reasons most informed buyers will pay our prices.

Always get a data sheet for the steel you plan to use and read it carefully:
https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/Pic.../CPM154-DS.pdf
Oh, well ya learn something new everyday!

I figured all stainless knives were air or plate quenched(I'm still a newbie to heat treating) I've been using peters HT so far.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:11 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel666 View Post
The CPM154 is stainless steel and very difficult for a first time maker. The 1095 carbon steel is basic and not considered high quality because it rusts easily and usually requires a black coating.
It is your first time grinding?
1095 makes great knives and is second to only W2 for hamons IMO. Not sure why you think 1095 isn't "high quality".. It's not newbie steel but it makes a great blade.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:26 AM
Enthusiast

^^Agreed, some of the best knives out there are made from 1095. I'm going to maybe try a hamon on Kiridashi sometime soon. I'm thinking about going W1.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Hall of Famer

Maybe it's because 1095 has been around since Noah was a seaman recruit and some people think that if it's not one of the new wonder steels it can't be good. People loose track of the fact that with steel selection everything is a trade-off. What 1095 is good at something like 52100 isn't good at.

Doug

Tags
1095, back, blade, carbon, cpm, drop point, first time, g10, grinding, handle material, handles, heat, heat treat, home, knife, knives, made, material, post, show, small, stainless, stainless steel, steel, tanto