MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

View Poll Results: Do you use a display case at a show?
Display case -yes 0 0%
display case -no 22 100.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2003, 01:10 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to striper28 Send a message via Yahoo to striper28
Display Case or no Display case at a show???

Do you use a display case at a show to display your knives or not? I used to worry about knife theft, and put my knives in a display case at shows. I always kept the case in sight when I walked away from the table. Now I don't use the case. You want people to pick up your knives and see how they feel in their hand, sometimes they buy one based just on that. I think that people felt that if they have to ask to see something that is locked up in a case that it is probally out of their price range. Some people don't have the nerve to ask. I have done the blade show with 15 knives on my table, I just keep a close eye on them. I also lay them out in a particular pattern so it is easier to remember, maybe smallest to biggest or folders and then fixed blades and I count them to keep track. Anyone else feel like this?
Thanks,
Chuck

Member of the Knifemakers Guild!
Visit my webpage at
www.gedraitisknives.com

Last edited by striper28; 11-16-2003 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:44 PM

As you said, I want people to pick up my knives. The more they get handled the better the sales.
Steve

Old 11-16-2003, 02:35 PM
Guru

Chuck, my wife and I spend alot of time setting up our table.The knives and sheaths are all arranged so easily visable and she has little plastic signs with the knife info on them at each knife.We also have signs encouraging people to handle them but with care. So no display cases here.Dave
Old 11-17-2003, 12:14 AM
Steel Addict

I gotta agree with the other folks. As a collector , several purchases I have made were sealed by the action and feel of the knives.
A display case is fine for knives on DISPLAY, but to sell them you have to hold them up to your ear to see if they want to go home with you. Unfortunately for my wife, most of them do want to live at my house.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:05 AM
Skilled

Cases are sometimes necessary where there are non knife persons present, like arts and crafts shows...good places to sell knives but they attract Yuppies and small children who have no concept that knives could be sharp. Gotta protect them from themselves.

A piece of plexiglass works well to keep people from picking up fragile art pieces or customer owned pieces waiting for the customer to pick them up while leaving the rest of the table open to display knives whichyou want the public to handle.

Old 11-26-2003, 01:01 AM
Living Legend

I haven't used a case, but if I did, I might have a big sign on the front of the table - like "Just point and I'll get it out for you !"

At the 2 knife shows I've attended, I've had that many knives that I could've done well with a second "tier" to the table. A plexiglass or polycarbonate bar-top would help lay out a second layer without cutting out the lighting. Maybe a case could be incorporated into that.

Also seems like a simple thing but if you have a case made, please make sure it opens towards your side of the table !!!
Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 12-07-2003, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast

At some shows I have to borrow a few of my previous work to display. These go into the case to prevent excess handling. The knives for sale need to be easily available for people to pick up and inspect. You are right most folks wont ask to see something thats behind glass.

Old 12-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
A conditonal NO from me....

I dislike the use of cases at shows....simply because it places a barrier between your product and those who your hoping will fall in love with your work. There are times however, that a case can in fact create an alure to the customer, such as with very exotic pices such as Bruce's knife/pistol combos. It gives a specific piece it's own "place" on the table, and can actually draw more attention. I am totally against the large cases which house a number of knives, as they tend to create the vision of "just a bunch of knives". Just generally speaking, my impression of a table with a large dispaly case packed full of knives tells me that the seller was too lazy to create a thoughtful, tasteful display. Showmanship is something that is necessary! For example, dressing nicely, making sure you speak to each person who stops by your table, and answering ALL questions, no matter if it's the 50th time you've had to answer the same question that day.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Tags
blade, knife, knives