MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 04-29-2002, 09:20 AM
ironbasher

L-6

I recently heat treated a piece of L-6 that i had ground into basically a camp knife profile. After heating to non magnetic in my gas forge, I edge quenched in preheated canola oil and promptly developed several large cracks running from edge up about 1/2 inch towards the spine, and most disturbingly one of them turned and ran paralell to the edge for about 2 inches towards the ricasso. I left the edge about 1/16 thick to grind away decarb and the steel was from Admiral ,does anybody have any thoughts as to where I blew it. Thank s for any and all input. Ironbasher
Old 04-29-2002, 05:08 PM
the g8

L6

Did you normalize after forging? I've bought L6 from Admiral and had good results with it. I quench in a version of Wayne Goddard's "goo" -- wax and transmission fluid.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:38 PM
Raymond Richard

Mr. Basher,
I've had just the oppisite with the the L-6 from Admiral. I just stopped messing with it. I'm not sure what it is but I can't get it to get had unless I get it way past critical and then it normally warps on me. I bought quite a bit of it but like I said I no longer us it cause it hasn't turned out for me. What you are discribbing sounds like what W-1 does in water. I don't know what to tell you except I think admiral sent us some crap...Ray
Old 04-30-2002, 12:36 PM
ironbasher

L-6

Thank you G8 and Raymond for your input. I think I may have left coarse scratches across the edge after cleaning up the profile. G8, yes I usually anneal after forging, but in this case the knife was a stock removal as where I forge is several miles from my home shop and this was a spur of the moment project. I am still a beginner and am hesitant to blame the material, although I do seem to see alot of people with problems with steel from admiral . This is unfortunate as they seem to carry it all and treir service to me has always been quik. Kinzea thompson(ironbasher)
Old 04-30-2002, 03:43 PM
JossDelage

From what I heard, trully annealing L6 is difficult, but to address your "distance to forge" issue, you should be able to normalize the blade in your kitchen oven. What I do is to leave it over night at 400+ degrees, and it softens 5160 or even 52100 well enough. It won't bring L6 to dead soft (nor would putting it in your forge) but I'm sure it would relieve some stresses.

JD
Old 04-30-2002, 07:00 PM
gary rodewald

l6

I would try a slower oil

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife