MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Skilled

Practice on a Zippo

Finally got some time to practice, so I grabbed a Zippo out of the show case and started scratching. If anyone is using a Monarch, is it a much smoother running hand piece than the 901?
Critique welcomed good or bad.
Thanks for looking
Mike Cirelli

Last edited by MCirelli; 06-08-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Mike.

That's cool. What was the metal like to engrave? I've been thinking of having a go at engraving a Zippo in the next few weeks. Did you have to fill it with something to stop vibration? because they seem very thin.

Best regards
Andrew Biggs
Old 01-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Skilled

Hi Andrew
I just left the insides in it and put it in my block between a couple pieces of leather. This is a brass one other than the silver I think the all the others in the line are plated. They used to make a stainless one but I can't find it in the catlaog. The silver may be plated also so it won't tarnish don't know.
Thanks
Mike
Old 01-17-2006, 12:01 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCirelli
Finally got some time to practice, so I grabbed a Zippo out of the show case and started scratching. If anyone is using a Monarch, is it a much smoother running hand piece than the 901?
Critique welcomed good or bad.
Thanks for looking
Mike Cirelli
Mike:

Really nice work on the Zippo, Mike. I like the delicacy of the leaves. I hope you don't mind if I copy that one on a practice piece.

For your knowledge, I tried a new Monarch, and the new footpedal right at the BLADE show last June. I liked it so well, I purchased them about a month later. I like the feel of the lesser powered Monarch as compared to the 901 I started with. It is especially friendly for the thin walled or hollow jewelry I find myself engraving. It combined with the new foot pedal seem to allow more delicate detailed work than I used to do (but, still nowhere near your quality, yet). I still use the old 901 to do heavier line work, as it has a lot more force in it. But the new footpedal seems to add a level of control to that too.

I also started using the Glendo Tungsten Carbide gravers for the hard to gauge metals. But most everything I've been working on works well with old Muellers, or Glensteels. Try the Monarch at a show; I think you'll like it.

(PS - I have a used foot pedal for sale if anyone need one.)

Mark
MG Designs
Franklin, TN
Old 01-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Skilled

Thanks Mark
Thats fine to use it for a plate. I'm going to have to try one before I buy one. I like my 901 but sometimes it just seems to peter out on me with light lines, for no reason(everything is clean). Sam Alfano suggested a precision regulator.
Mike Cirelli

Tags
blade, knife