MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2001, 11:38 PM
srjknives

Any CPM 440V out there??

I'd certainly appreciate any help that anyone might be able to give in finding a piece of CPM 440V in this size: (Or approximately this size.)

3/8' to 1/2" thick, (Pref. 3/8") X 1" wide X 7" long
for a little integral gent's knife.

I can get 420V from Crucible, but that has to be satin finished, and the customer wants this little knife to be shiny. (Or am I wrong here?) He also, however, is specifying "440V."

Mr. Cox, at Crucible, says no more 440V, unless I want to order 500 lb.

I'd really appreciate whatever help anyone can give me.
Steve
Old 01-19-2001, 04:41 PM
Roger Gregory

Maybe Jerry Hossom could help, he uses CPM440V.
I think his e-mail address is: knives@mediaone.net

Roger
Old 01-19-2001, 04:55 PM
primos

Paging Roger Gregory...

Excuse me for butting in. If Roger's still hanging around in here, Andy Gascoigne has put in a request for info on steel suppliers in the UK over in The Supply Center forum. If Roger or anyone else can give him a hand, I know he'd appreciate it. He hasn't been getting any nibbles yet.

To atone for barging in here like this, I'll see if I can help locate some CPM 440V for Steve while I'm trying to help Andy. Just trying to do some community service.

Old 01-19-2001, 05:47 PM
srjknives

Thanks, guys, I'll contact Jerry.

Also, this is a FORUM, you're not butting in here, Terry. Any comments are welcome,
and in this case needed!

I hope Andy gets some help, and I appreciate your offer of assistance, too.

I know an Italian steel supplier, but don't know if they'd be able to help, or have what you need.
It's "FAPA" and their email is : "FAPA" They may know of UK outlets. Talk to Ms. Pagani.

Wolf Borger in Germany might be able to help, also, at:
www.wolf-borger-messer.de

Or you might try sending a note to the German Knifemaker's Forum, MesserForum.net also
located on Wolf's site. They might have some contacts, and many will savvy English, most likely.
There's also a translator attached to the site, I think. (A good idea for CKD, perhaps, too.)

Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2001, 08:34 AM
Roger Gregory

Terry

Message received! I've chipped in over in the Supply Centre. But, if Mr Johnson can't find CPM440V what hope do we have of finding stainless over here?

Roger
Old 01-20-2001, 07:40 PM
heparker

admiralsteel.com is now listing 440V in various sizes.
Old 01-21-2001, 12:23 AM
srjknives

Thanks a million, I sent them a request for this size. We'll see what they can do. The largest size they list online is 1/4" thick.

I surely do appreciate your help! Steve

FOLLOW -UP:
I got an email back form Admiral and they don't have anything thicker than 1/4." As noted below, Crucible's going to help. Thanks toJerry Hossom and his contacts there.
Old 01-21-2001, 03:55 PM
Mondt

All I use is Crucible Steel out of Detriot. I will contact my source and see what can be done. If you need 420V I have a couple of chunks 0.388 thick that I am getting ready to cut on. I would be glad to cut you off a chunk.
Old 01-22-2001, 10:33 AM
srjknives

Hey, thanks, you guys, for all your help. It looks like Jerry Hossum has referred me to a man at Crucible who will be able and willing to help me and it sounds like he's getting some out of Detroit, so it looks like it's handled.

Man,ain't forums great!

The customer doesn't want 420V, as it won't polish, or so I'm told, haven't used it yet. Maybe I oughtta give it a try.... what size is yours?

Thanks again!
Old 01-22-2001, 12:49 PM
Mondt

I had some .388 thick 420V. I have a 15"x8"x1/2" piece right now. I am going to use it on a couple integral knives for some Las Vegas police officers.

I saw a knife in Blade last year in the issue that talked about Crucible steel. It seems to me a maker had a mirror polish on a 420V blade in there somewhere.

Speaking of polishing anyone ever put a mirror polish on CPM 10V? I started to buff out a blade in my normal fashion starting with a sisal wheel and grey emory compound and I couldn't put a mark on it!!
Old 01-22-2001, 03:18 PM
srjknives

Thanks, again.

I'll try to run down that copy of Blade and see if I can find reference to polishing 420V.

I've never used 10V, but am have two 3V blades that are VERY tough and don't act like they have any intention of ever having a polish on them!
Old 01-22-2001, 06:57 PM
Roger Gregory

I just hope we're going to see the knife/knives pictured here after the steel has been tracked down.

I love those integrals.

Roger
Old 01-23-2001, 10:20 AM
srjknives

I'll be glad to post a photo, if I can get it done and get one taken prior to, or at, Solvang, where I'm supposed to deliver it.

I wouldn't have found the steel without your help; thanks!
Old 01-24-2001, 09:44 PM
Rade L Hawkins

STEVE HOPE YOU FIND THE THICK 440-V. I HAVE SOME .1/4 X 1 1/2. HAVE YOU EVER DID A MIRROR FINISH ON 440-V? I HAVE TRIED IT WITH OUT MUCH LUCK. I HAVE NEVER GOT A GOOD MIRROR ON ANY OF THE CPM STEELS,BUT THEN I ONLY USE THE 440-V 420-V AND 10-V.-----RADE
Old 01-24-2001, 11:11 PM
srjknives

I've used a couple of CPM steels, but never 440V. I'm hoping it'll polish, but maybe I'm dreaming. I was told that 420V will not polish, but haven't used it. Maybe I'd better try it, huh?

Jerry Hossom got me in touch with a man from Crucible who ran down a piece of 1/2" for me.

Thanks for your input.

Tags
blade, knife, knives