MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 08-30-2001, 01:24 PM
JossDelage

Hand polishing

People,

Any tip on hand polishing? I have brought a blade to 3000 grit sand paper, and I could basically use the knife as a mirror, but I still have tiny scratches when I orient the blade correctly. Any idea of what I should do? For example keep working on 3000 grit, but with cutting oil?

Did I forget to mention that I have *no* powertools?

Thanks,

JD
Old 08-30-2001, 05:24 PM
Bob Warner

What is your goal?

If you are at 3000 grit and have already remove ALL scratches from previous grits, you have a GREAT hand finish on the blade. If you want to remove even the 3000 grit scratches, you really need to get a buffer or at least some buffing coumpound and a cloth and rub until your arm looks like Popeye's.
Old 08-30-2001, 06:12 PM
srjknives

J.D.

Not having seen the blade I would suspect that the "scratches" you are seeing are from previous sanding steps. You can keep sanding with the 3000 and eventually remove them. Or...you can go back to, perhaps, 1000x and sand them out quicker. Maybe even 800x. However, if the "scratches" are not scratches at all, but "inclusions" in the steel itself, they may, or may not ever come out. And if they do come out, you might even uncover other, new inclusions.

Only you can decide how perfect a blade can be. It may be to the point that , no matter what you do, it won't get any better.

I'd suggest the first step, (re-sand with coarser grit) and see what develops. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:47 AM
JossDelage

Thanks all. The scratches are definitely not from previous steps, which I would be able to pick up due to orientation. I'm cursed with a great eye-sight... I guess it will stay like that. It's pretty good after all, and I'm tired of polishing...

Cheers,

JD
Old 08-31-2001, 10:25 AM
srjknives

You deserve the rest, I'm sure. I'm sure the blade is perfect.
Old 08-31-2001, 08:10 PM
BCB27

Try using diamond polishing compound. It will give the finish some lustre without the need for a buffer. Two places that I know of to get it are Jantz and Rio Grande. Rio's URL is www.riogrande.com

Brett
Old 09-18-2001, 09:01 AM
srjknives

The diamond cmpd. sounds interesting. Do you apply it with a cloth backing to rub the blade, or on a very fine sandpaper, or how. If you'd be so kind...

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2001, 10:19 AM
Don Cowles

Steve, I have used it (infrequently) with a hard felt bob on a die grinder, or a smaller felt bob on a flex-shaft tool. It comes in varying grits as a paste in a syringe. Rub the paste into the felt bob, and go to it. I made the mistake when I first tried it of putting the paste on the blade, and then hitting it with the turning felt. Blew the stuff all over my apron, and left none for polishing.

By the way, it is not cheap- about $40 for a small syringe.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:30 PM
srjknives

You might take a look at the thread "High Polish or Satin Finish?" below for some ideas that would apply to both processes.

Tags
blade, forge, knife