MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2001, 01:25 PM
Gary Mulkey

Flux

I have been using both a liquid acid flux and a zinc cloride paste and have had good success on brass and n/s but trouble on stainless. I remember that some of you have said that you use Eutectic 682 flux for stainless. Where can I get a single bottle of it or if some of you know of another flux that works as well with stainless please let me know.

Gary Mulkey
gary@fallcreek.net
Old 11-30-2001, 06:39 PM
Bob Warner

Not sure where I heard it (and I never tried it) but I heard that muratic acid makes a good flux for soldering guards. Maybe someone here has heard this also. I am sure the fumes would make it difficult to work with but it probably does a good job of cleaning.
Old 12-01-2001, 12:12 AM
srjknives

Check out this thread, found part way down the SRJ Forum. Lots of commentary on Eutectic 682, and also a note that R.J. Martin has some flux available.

pub42.ezboard.com/fcustom...D=11.topic

Loveless and I tried Muriatic acid long ago with not a lot of success, as I recall. Wouldn't hurt to try it though. Yes, watch those fumes!! 682 does a good job for me.
Old 12-01-2001, 05:43 PM
RJ Martin

Boys: I've got the stuff. I'm going to put it in smaller bottles-I'll figure out a price and get back here with it.
I need some 157 Solder-lost mine when I moved.
WANNA TRADE? Only 157 solder wanted-no Allstate, please.

RJ
Old 12-01-2001, 06:29 PM
Gary Mulkey

R.J.,

I don't have the solder to trade but would like some of the flux. Let me know when you have a price.

Gary Mulkey
Old 12-01-2001, 10:09 PM
srjknives

R.J.

How much solder do yo need? Like I said, I don't have a lot but can let you have some to get you by.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:19 AM
RJ Martin

Steve: 5-10 feet would do nicely. At 1" per knife, that'd get me by for a while. At some point, I'll get a big roll and we can divy it up among the forum members.
I explained to the Eutectic rep that they're missing out by only offering such large quantities-he understood, but, said his hands were tied. Too bad.

RJ

51 Bramblewood St.
Bridgewater, MA 02324

Steve: I have some eyeglass quality Nickel Silver rod I can send you, if you use that. It's 1/8" DIA.
Old 12-03-2001, 03:29 PM
srjknives

It's in the mail, R.J.

Good idea on your suggestion for the Eutectrod. Maybe that's the way to go, make it avail. on the CKD. I bought mine in 1977 and still have some left.

Thank you for the offer, but I don't think I'll be able to use the n.s. rod. What do you use it for?

Old 12-04-2001, 07:03 AM
RJ Martin

Steve: I got it from a friend of mine in the wire business. I don't use it for knives anymore, but, I make a neat solder removal tool from it. I'll send you one to try, OK? It cuts/burnishes the solder joint to a perfect radius without scratching the blade or guard. Not that you need any help in that area, Steve, but, you might like it anyway. I find it much easier than polishing with the Dremel.

Thanks much for the solder!!!!!!
I believe the Eutectic product is superior-have tried Allstate a number of times, never with perfect results.

Stay Sharp,

RJ Martin
Old 12-04-2001, 11:33 AM
srjknives

Sounds like a good idea. I've used brass rod before, but never warmed up to the technique as well as with the "Bright Boy" disc. I'll give it a try, thanks!

I've used Allstate a time or two with good results, but am happy with 157.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:45 AM
SLKnives

flux

RJ,

Appreciate your willingness to repackage some of the flux in smaller quantities. I will take some also when you are ready to ship.

Schuyler
Old 12-07-2001, 07:25 AM
RJ Martin

Re: flux

Steve: Solder arrived yesterday. THANKS!
I plan to try it out next week. Can someone please tell me how to post a picture?

RJ

Old 12-07-2001, 11:57 AM
srjknives

Glad it made it.

Will you be using a torch, or a heat gun?

Just watch that flux carefully and when it re-melts, after crystallizing, it's at the optimum tmeperature.

Good luck. Le tus know how it goes.

Nohelp here on the photo posting, sorry.
Old 12-08-2001, 09:04 AM
RJ Martin

Steve: I am going to try the heat gun. I have a nice Milwaulkee that I use for other stuff-should do the trick. After reading these forums in depth, I realize that I have WAY overheated the flux for years now.
Also, I found a tutorial right here that explains how to post a pic. A beautiful thing!

RJ
Old 12-10-2001, 01:39 PM
srjknives

Sounds good.

Good luck.

Link us to that tutorial, please.

Tags
blade, knife, knives