MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 01-11-2002, 08:17 PM
BOB28

Got any good recipes?

Howdy gentlemen! Santa was good to me this year, he gave me a heattreat oven with digital controls! Now that I have it what do I do with it? Anyone got some good recipes for A2, D2 and O-1 that will make a tough resiliant knife with good edge holding on each of these steels??
Would be much appreciated!

OH! and ATS-34 too!
Thanks everyone.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:44 PM
BOB28

Thanks Janet!
Old 01-12-2002, 11:38 PM
srjknives

I want one!!

Oh, nevermind, it'd make my shop too hot and melt the snow off of my roof....
Old 01-19-2002, 09:48 PM
Sweany

just remember that this is an old english translation from a spanish recipe.Translated from "Libro de Cozina", a spanish recipe book. 1529 edition (that's *year*, not latest edition)

Roast Cat As It Should Be Prepared

Take a cat that should be plump: and cut its throat, and once it is dead cut off its head, and throw it away for this is not to be eaten; for it is said that he who eats the brains will lose his own sense and judgement. Then skin it very cleanly, and open it and and clean it well; and then wrap it in a clean linen cloth and bury it in the earth where it should remain for a day and a night; and then take it out and put it on a spit; and roast it over the fire, and when beginning to roast, baste it with good garlic and oil, and when you are finished basting it, beat it well with a green branch; and this should be done until it is well roasted, basting and beating; and when it is roasted carve it as if it were a rabbit or kid and put it on a large plate; and take the garlic and oil mixed with good broth so that it is coarse, and pour it over the cat and you can eat it for it is a good dish. ---------------------------------- :

Old 01-19-2002, 10:31 PM
srjknives

I'll have it my way at Burger King, thanks!
Old 01-28-2002, 11:30 AM
RJ Martin

Heat Treat Recipes

Janet: On a more serious note, my advice is to get busy and calibrate your furnace using either high quality ceramic cones, Tem-Pil pellets, or, better yet, a digital panel meter with a high temperature thermocouple.
You may be surprised by the results. My furnaces specified 1% accuracy, but, did not deliver that over the entire range, and, remember that 1% at 2000F is still 20 degrees-enough to matter.
Once you get the data on what your furnace really does, you can follow the published specs for whatever steels you use-generally, stay around the middle of the temperature ranges provided until you get consistent, repeatable results. Do check the hardness of every blade on a reliable Rockwell tester-it is the only way to know where you are ending up.
Remember, heat treating is a science, and, IMO, is best approached as such. That way, you can achieve consistent results, which can be evaluated through real-world testing until you develop your own formulas that give you the results you want.

Have fun

RJ Martin
Old 02-01-2002, 12:29 PM
MJHKNIVES

Re: Heat Treat Recipes

Dont think this is exactly what you are looking for, but it is so cold here at the moment, this sounds good.
www.bmcneil.com/chili.html

Tags
blade, knife