MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 02-09-2002, 08:51 AM
ansoknives

"The Guild"

I have thought long and hard about this and have decided that I would like to try to get into the The Knifemakers Guild. I know there is a new forum that deals with the guild but thought I would start here where I feel at home. As I understand it I need 4 member to recommend me?...As I am located in Denmark how would I go about this...find 4 willing members and send a handfull of my knives for evaluation maybe? And then what is going to happend?...

Thanks for your time.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:50 PM
dogman

Hi, Jens.
You will have to have your knives inspected by Guild members. There is also an application to fill out and an application fee. They have info on their site:
www.knifemakersguild.com

There are plenty of folks you know through the forums, so you can get a package together, talk to the guys you want to inspect your knives, and mail it to one, who mails it to the next guy until it gets back to you. You can also have someone bring them to the Blade Show and you can get all your signatures at once. Then you only have to worry about the knives being mailed once over and once back.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:05 PM
ansoknives

sounds like a plan!...If I remember correctly you did the trick at the Bladeshow right?....Is there anything recommended on the knives showing?...simple knives...complex knives..?...how many?

Old 02-09-2002, 03:10 PM
ansoknives

this is from their website:

Probationary Members - They must be engaged in the making of benchmade knives for sale to the public, including the grinding and/or forging of their own knives. Before attaining probationary status, they have filed an application signed by four voting members, have submitted a professionally printed catalog, and have displayed their knives at the annual show where their work has been inspected by a technical committee. Probationary period is two years, at which time their knives must be displayed and inspected at the annual show before voting status can be granted.

So after getting my application signed (when and if)....I need to go to the show?...and what about the catalog?.....is this still valid in the internet days?
Old 02-09-2002, 09:45 PM
srjknives

That's the way to go.

I think the catalogue is still a requirement, many do no have internet access. Email one of the Guild board members and ask them about that. Their addresses are on the Guild site You can find Guild members in Europe, too, you know.

The Guild will do nothing but good for you and your business.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:26 AM
ansoknives

Thanks Steve!......I have a contact who could print the catalog for me....so that would not be the big pronblem....just need some time to put it together....no rush in the project either >I guess....But am sure you are right that it will do me and my business good.

Yes I know of at least a few of the european members....but it is easyer for me to get to the american...... My German etc is not all that well...
Old 02-10-2002, 09:48 AM
dogman

I just threw together a brochure on my computer. I agree the catalog is an outdated idea, with most folks having computer access. I update my catalog on a very frequent basis.

You are not required to go to the show until you are actually a Probationary member, not just on the waiting list.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:02 PM
srjknives

Sounds like a good plan. I'd be happy to help in any way that I can.

My own catalogue is out of date, but I still send one out every once-in-a-while.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:57 AM
ansoknives

Thank you Steve I will take you up on that! And Bob ..thanks for the good advise!

So ...Is it also when I am a Probationary member I need the catalog?...guess I would have a few years to put it together then.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:07 AM
george tichbourne

My full catalogue is a printout of my website, otherwise brochures focusing on specific product grooups do the job. Carol has made up about 5 or 6 different brochures to handle different requirements, printed in full colour on quality stock they rival anything produced professionally. The advantage is that we can print up a dozen or so when we need them where printers run off thousands that are usually obsolete before they are any where near used up.

Maybe someday I will consider joining the KMG, until then I will remain a member of the Canadian Guild
Old 02-12-2002, 10:52 AM
srjknives

You can put together a catalogue in a day, especially with a digital camera and if you have shots and info on a web site. My first one was three sheets. One with 4 knives in line drawing format, a description/bio sheet adn an order form page. They don't have to be fancy, but you should do the best you can, of course, it'll be making a first impression on prospective customers. It might pay to order a few from varioius makers and take ideas from what's already out there...

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives