MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 02-15-2002, 07:03 AM
RJ Martin

Best stainless for guards?

The flux/solder combo and heat gun technique that was the subject of extensive discussion here has worked out well for me. I have always made my guards out of 410 SS, which is a low Sulfur version of 416 SS.
Is there a more "solder friendly" stainless out there?
If so, where to buy in reasonable quantities? I generally use 1/4 x 3/4 wide barstock...

Thanks,

RJ Martin
Old 02-15-2002, 11:01 AM
srjknives

My experience is almost totally with 416.

Maybe someone has tried other types. But whatever the other types are, you probably won't find one that is as easy to work/finish or that the engravers like as much as 416.

Worth a try, however, that's for sure.
Old 02-15-2002, 11:07 AM
SLKnives

Best stainless ?

Randy, that's a good question-I have wondered about that also. I have generally used 416 for guards/bolsters in that after trying the 300 series stainless, nickle silver, etc., 416 seemed to be the best combination of stain/tarnish resistance and workability, along with being the steel of choice for the engravers because of it's machinability (not as "sticky" as N.S. or 304 SS). It cuts cleaner and easier-another advantage when grinding for guards also.

I thought the addition of sulfer was what gave the steel it's "free machining" grade designation, and was a positive as far as working characteristics. Do you know if the sulfer negatively impacts solderability ? I know 410 is sold a lot for liner material, but have never known if there were any characteristics that made it specially suited for that application, or if it was just used because it was normally manufactured/available in those thicknesses and that was what the suppliers carried ? Have you found it solders easier than 416 ?

Sounds like there is a lot of information a lot of us old time makers don't know. I know in my case, I just go blistfully along with what the suppliers sell us, assuming the tried and trued materials are the best available, and not finding out if there is really something better out there for the application. Anything that solders easier gets my vote !!

Schuyler

Old 02-15-2002, 12:42 PM
RJ Martin

Re: Best stainless ?

Well, I guess that's why I asked. I assumed that 410 would solder better because of the low Sulfur, but, it's probably very close. I guess I'm still looking for the Holy Grail of soldering-heat it, flux it, and apply solder and ZAMMO, instant, total fillet. It burns me to have to go back and remove that yellow residue from a perfectly satin finished blade by hand sanding right up against the guard. In my early days, I mirror finished the guard and blade flat-it was great, because you could buff that stuff right off.
Now, I want a tactical satin finish-hand sanding the face of a double guard is about like doing the blade flats-not too fun.
I would gladly work a less machinable material if it soldered better.

Geno-What do you use?

RJ

Tags
blade, knife