MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 12-17-2005, 12:13 PM

An "original" Randall Recon

Joe Dorsky?s limited ?Randall Recon? series knife was inspired by the original MACV-SOG knives made by several different manufacturers for US Special Forces and South Vietnam Special Exploitation Service operatives beginning in 1963 / 64. This SOG knife construction consisted of a 6 or 7 inch blade, heavy brass or iron hilt, stacked leather washers and a large pommel usually made out of brass. But what inspired the SOG design? We?ll probably never know, but a very similar handmade knife was available from Randall at that time (and even as far back as the ?Commando? in the early 40?s) in the form of a Model 3 that could be optioned with a double hilt, sharpened top clip and thong hole. The 1st photo I show is Joe?s Recon, The 2nd is of a SOG knife out of Mike Silvey?s ?Knives of the US Military in Vietnam? book and the 3rd is a six inch Model 3 with a double brass hilt that was made roughly the same time the first of the SOG knives appeared. This one does not have a sharpened clip or thong hole, but it is still a ?fighter? in every sense of the word. Compared to the numbers of other Randall fighting models made during the Vietnam years, the Model 3 fighter is a pretty rare bird. I don?t usually collect Randalls this ?new?, but Model 3?s are my favorites and this one is pretty special to me. Bob Hunt shows another 7? stag handled version on page 169 of his second book. I haven?t seen any others, but I am sure there are more out there somewhere. As always, thanks for looking.

Best,

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Recon 1 (Custom).jpg (39.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Recon002 (Custom).JPG (35.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Recon001 (Custom).JPG (30.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 12-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast

Nice item Ron. A little further history. The original (first) SOG Recon knife had a 7" blade. The center photo Ron posted is one of these knives. The 6" model came later and was more of a Bowie type grind. These knives were procured by Ben Baker who ran CISO and supplied Special Forces with unmarked clandestine items ranging from food, gear, clothing, weaponry, and everything else you can imagine was needed to fight the communist SOB's.

Seven inch "Recon" knives marked Japan Sword were not procured by Ben Baker and CISO and were a private purchase copy. I don't know of any ever being issued to any unit. There were also several 6" copies not procured by Ben Baker and CISO.

Last edited by crutch tip; 12-17-2005 at 01:04 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-17-2005, 01:34 PM

Thanks, Crutchtip. Coming across that knife has piqued my interest in learning more about the SOG's.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Thanks guys. Real interesting posts.

- Ronald Reagan

Tags
blade, knife, knives