MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 PM

Older Buck - Not In Production

In going through my stuff, I came across a Buck model 118. At least that what is stamped on the blade and sheath. I am unable to find this model on the Buck website, so I am presuming it is no longer in production. My guess is I acquired this somewhere in the late 70's to early 80's, although I don't remember actually buying it. Can anyone tell me anything about it in terms of when it was produced or what it originally sold for?

I doubt mine has any collectible value as the blade is pitted from rust. There is no rust on the blade now and it still takes a reasonable edge, but it is obviously past prime condition. I say reasonable edge, because I do remember that the knife never really took a great edge. No matter how I tried, I just could not get the proper bevel on it. If you have any advice on this, I'd appreciate that too!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

How many would you like?

I rep for Blue Ridge Knives, and my price on this knife is 125 dollars.

I have never sold one, and truth be told, I've never had a client ask for one.

Edit: When I have a problem with trying to get a bevel uniform I do not try to re-invent the wheel. I just get out the Edge Pro and make a new edge.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Older Buck knives had a reputation for being hard to sharpen. It just takes a lot of patience.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Enthusiast

Here are two newer vintage Bucks using 420 steel. They polished right up. They were a tad crooked from the factory, but a shaping stone and ten minutes fixed that.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:13 PM

Thank you guys for the info!

Know I know why I don't see them online: I guess they are just not popular. At $125 retail, I guess it's worth holding on to . . .

Sorry, Tourist, but all I've got to work with are some Spyderco ceramic stones and a yellow Smiths thingie that is good for kitchen cutlery or starting an edge. No EdgePro or other high end system. This particular knife has become something of a project for me. I'll take it out of the sheath and work at it for a while, then put it away again. It's getting better. It seems like it always "almost there", but never quite as good as I'd like.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:00 PM

The 118 was one of BUcks original knives produced in '61 through '96 and was dropped in the '97 catalog. Depending on the stamp on the blade, I could narrow down when it was manufactered.

Tags
blade, cutlery, knife, knives, sheath, stone