MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 01-31-2001, 11:51 AM
Mondt

Steve,
I've never bought any 440V, but I just traded a knife for 70 pounds of 440V steel. How did I do? The knife is about $125.
Old 01-31-2001, 04:15 PM
dogman

Hey, Doug.
I have been wanting to play with some different steels. Are you willing to sell a bit of your new found bounty?
<a href="mailto:dogman@tampabay.rr....bay.rr.com</a>
Old 01-31-2001, 11:31 PM
srjknives

Sounds to me like you probably have negotiated one heck of a deal!

I'm not sure on the cost/lb., but one Crucible rep. offered to make me some, if I'd order 500lb. I have a quote, I think, somewhere for 440V, per lb.

I might be wanting to talk you out of some, also, should you be of a mind. Back tomorrow with a price, if I can find it.
Old 02-01-2001, 01:52 PM
srjknives

Admiral Steel lists 440V @ $161.00 for one length of 3/16" X 2". This length would weigh 8.76 lb. So.....if you bought 70 lb of 440V from them, in that size, you'd get not about 8ea, 7ft. lengths. and it'd cost you $1288, more or less.

If you want to check my figures (Highly Recommended!) you can go to Admiral's address:
www.admiralsteel.com/prod...M440V.HTML

This will give you the wgt./lb of various sizes, then go to the link at the bottom of that page to get prices for different steels.

Good luck with that stuff.

Old 02-14-2001, 12:01 PM
tom mayo

440v

I think you can probably polish the two CPM V steels in question.......HOWEVER>>>>>>>> its going to be a LONG SLOW process.....the scratches do NOT like to come out of the stuff.....I have tried to polish just the outside top and bottom of 440V knives on many occasions (rest was satin finished) with very little success.....I will admit I gave up pretty quickly... but I spent as much time or more as I do mirror polishing the outside of a BG 42 knife and the scratches were STILL THERE! Goodluck....youre gonna need it!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2001, 10:35 PM
srjknives

Re: 440v

Tom, thanks for the insight. Now I'm really scared!

But, since I need a bit of luck in every knife I make, I'll just hope for some when I get going on that 440V integral.

I'll plan on taking plenty of time. I appreciate your comments.
Old 02-19-2001, 07:53 AM
Jerry Hossom

Polishing 3V

You're not likely to get 3V polished unless you use diamond. The problem is that the carbide particles in 3V are finer than in other CPM's and will scatter white light, even though they may be too small to see by eye. So you can have a blade that is dead smooth in every respect and still not reflect images.

The smoothest finish I've gotten is after etching with 50:50 FeCl for about 10 minutes, followed by copious amounts of rubbing with very fine scotchbrite. This also seems to give it some corrosion protection by providing a protective layer of oxides on the surface.

I've gotten Scratchless Pink at 3600 rpm to bring up the shine quite a lot, but the best I can do is to get all the scratches going in one direction - lengthwise.

Green RCH is poison to 3V. It will instantly cloud the steel and you'll have to go back to your grinder to get rid of it.
Old 02-19-2001, 08:05 AM
Don Cowles

Re: Polishing 3V

Jerry- Delighted to see you make an appearance! I hope you'll come back often and share your experience with us. We miss you here.
Old 02-19-2001, 09:38 AM
srjknives

Re: Polishing 3V

Ditto, for me, Jerry. Thanks, so much, for the input on 3V from the guy who knows more than anyone else about it. Your expertise is valuable and very appreciated.
Old 02-19-2001, 09:01 PM
Frank Niro

I have completed several knives made of CPM440V and on those that I tried to finish with a high polish I was very disapointed. Certainly the finish was very smooth but what I would call sort of cloudy . I ended up calling the customers involved and fortunately got approval as such or to go to a satin finish. I hope you are able to achieve the finish you desire Steve! I to will look forward to see your results. Frank.
Old 02-20-2001, 12:02 AM
CKDadmin

I was right next to Jerry this weekend at the Atlanta Show. We had a blast. His stuff is just awesome. He's really carved out a style.

He's got some great crowd one-liners that kept me laughing, too. "Hey buddy, you can't see balance!" He knows how to make a man pick up one of his knives.

Any aspiring show contender should try to get next to Jerry Hossom at a show at least once. You'll take something to the next show with you.

Alex
Old 02-20-2001, 09:16 AM
srjknives

Jerry's always teaching someone somehting. I appreciate all he's done for me. It was great to sit next to him in Denver last yr.

Tags
blade, knife, knives