MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2001, 03:11 AM
bbat

Beginnings

I have always wanted to make knives. Where and how would you sugest that i begin?
Old 07-01-2001, 06:20 AM
Don Cowles

Boy, that's not an easy question. Here are a few suggestions from my own experience, though.

If you have any knifemakers near where you live, I would start by trying to arrange a short visit to their shop. Have a look around, see what sort of equipment is used, and get a feel for whether or not it is something you really want to get into. Most makers would be pleased to show you around.

Next would be to do some serious reading. One of the best books on the basics of knifemaking is "How to Make Knives" by Bob Loveless and Richard Barney.

Then, with a knowledge of the process and the equipment needed, you will be able to make a reasoned decision about how far you want to commit yourself in terms of tools and time.

Hanging around here can't hurt you, either. Several fine makers here are willing to share their experince and answer questions.

Glad to have you with us, and good luck!
Old 07-01-2001, 08:20 AM
bbat

Thank for the sugestions, I will have to look into it a bit further.
Old 07-02-2001, 08:13 AM
srjknives

Welcome to the forum.

Like Don says, most makers wil be happy to show you around, and you can probably ask any question here that you want and someone will have an answer, or a resource where you can find the answer.

Go to some knife shows and ask questions of makers, suppliers, collectors. That'll help you get a "feel" for knifemaking in general. Read the magazines and whatever books you can get. Don's suggestion is great.

Good luck and don't be shy about questions. We've all been in your place before, and I dare say, all received help from other makers.

Please be respectful and conscious of the maker's time and his ability/willingness to have you visit his shop.

It goes without saying that you are his guest, should someone allow you to visit, and you need to be courteous and not over stay your welcome. If you get along OK together, he'll invite you back.

Many makers are used to working alone and another body in the shop can be a bother, even a distraction. Don't talk his leg off, especially when hes working. Grinding takes concentration, as does almost every facet of knifemaking.

If his wife wants him to go somewhere, help her, run an errand, etc. excuse yourself and come back later, or another day. She's got first dibs on his time.
Old 07-21-2001, 10:12 AM
Bob Warner

bbat,

Where are you located?
Old 07-21-2001, 10:36 AM
george tichbourne

As a learning experience try assembling a kit from any of the larger dealers like Texas knifemakers Supply, Jantz, Koval, Sheffield or K&G.

The assembly and finishing is the most difficult part to get right so if you can do that you will be well on your way.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:50 AM
srjknives

What a great idea. It'll allow you to do a lot of the "knifemamking," quickly and still help you be sucesssful the first time at it.

Tags
knife, knives