MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 08-18-2001, 11:13 PM
srjknives

Work bench height?

How high is your work bench? Mine is about 42" so I can put a vise on top and stand straight up to work.

I believe some makers build their shops so that they can sit down to do everything.

I guess the main thing is to try to keep the back straight so the fatigue isn't so bad. It'd be easier on the feet to sit, I'm sure.

As mentioned, sitting to grind is good for me, but I'm not sure about doing most everything while perched on a stool or in a chair??

Any ideas, theories, medical advice out there?
Old 08-19-2001, 06:09 AM
Don Cowles

The top of my main bench is 37" high, and I stand to work.
Old 08-19-2001, 09:47 AM
JHossom

Mine is 34", which is just about right for me to use the anvil portion of my big vise. Besides if it were any taller I'd have trouble seeing over all the stuff I have piled on it. The only chair in the shop, an old barstool, is where I drape the belts I'm using at any given moment. It's been there for 15 years and I'm not sure I ever actually sat on it...
Old 08-19-2001, 01:32 PM
MJHKNIVES

My vise benches are 37",my machinery benches are 39".I try to get them so I dont have to lean over too much,or bend neck.These seem to be a happy?compromise.I stand.
Old 08-19-2001, 05:22 PM
Mondt

I have one 40" and one 32". I built them to accomodate each of my grinders and their dimensions so I can stand comfortably. I also have a front mounted vice set up for doing detail work from a seated position.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:53 AM
Ricardo Velarde

I am not going to tell you how high my work bench is set up, because it does not mean anything to anyone who has a different higth than me.
If it is too high you can not push hard with a file or at least it takes too much energy, and if it is too low you will be bending over all the time.
The best way I can tell you how high the vise should be (and I say vise because that is where most of the work is done), is this way. If you place your elbow on top of the vise jaws and you stand straight looking forward, you should be able to make a fist and touch the bottoom of your chin. I think that is a happy medium.
Some times for detail work when you have to see the material you are working on mabe a taller vise might be helpful but I never got around to setting it up.
I hope this gives you some ideas.
Ricardo Velarde
Old 08-20-2001, 01:07 PM
ansoknives

That was a good advise!..I will remember this when I get a new shop...Hopefully soon.

My main bench is 38.5 and the vise is attached at 36......it is pretty big. Not so high as Velarde advises but it is pretty good height fr both standing and sitting on a barstool
Old 08-20-2001, 03:36 PM
srjknives

Great comments, gentlemen. I tried Velarde's measurement and my one vise, which I use the most, is "just right," according to his criteria.

I'm, just now, putting in a new bench against one wall and will use all of your suggestions that work for me.

Thanks for the input.