MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2001, 06:00 PM
RJ Martin

Splitting Coarse Belts down to 1" Width

Steve: I don't know whether you do your roughing work on a 2" wide wheel or a 1" wide wheel-I prefer the 1".
You may have noticed that the newer, hi-tech belts are difficult to obtain in 1 x 72, and it is almost impossible to split them from 2" wide belts using a Tipps Belt Splitter.
This tip is something I just discovered that makes splitting the coarse (60 grit), very hard Ceramic belts like the 3M 977F and 967 belts possible.
I turned the belt inside out, and ran it over a 1" wide contact wheel at the slowest speed on my variable speed Bader. I adjusted the tracking so that just a bit more than half the belt overhung the right hand side of the wheel.(about 1 1/4" overhang)
Holding a utility blade edge up in a vice grip, and resting it on the workrest, I gently applied it to the center of the belt as it turned.
It scored the backing nicely, and, eventually went right through.
The unsupported part of the belt starts flapping once part of it is cut clean through, but it is easy to shut the machine down right away and finish the job either by folding the belt back on itself along the scoreline, flexing it until the belt cracks apart, or, failing that, simply scoring the last bit by hand using the utility knife blade.
The split edge is as good as the factory edge, and, just by eyeballing the split location, I was able to make the 2 halves equal in width (1") within .050 or so.
Did about 6 belts in 10 minutes-only ruined 1/2 of 1 belt.

If you try this, be careful. You need that belt turning SLOWLY. Also, you only get 1 split from each end of the utility blade-the points/edges of the blade wear out fast.

Now, I have all my belts ready for tomorrow's grinding session.

Good Luck,

RJ Martin

Old 10-01-2001, 12:20 AM
ansoknives

Good tip RJ!!...sounds like it could be exciting too......

And a big welcome to the forums too!! Good to see you here!
Old 10-01-2001, 11:28 AM
JerryO13

Randy, Welcome. It's always good to have another engineer on board. I'll see you at the November NY show.
Old 10-01-2001, 04:59 PM
srjknives

I personaly use the 2" belts, but know that many makers use the 1" types and your information and technique will be of great value to them. I need to split a coarse belt now and then, too.

So, THANK YOU very much. Welcome and thanks for joining the forum.
Old 10-02-2001, 06:01 AM
RJ Martin

Steve: No problem. It is a pleasure to participate in a forum such as yours-lots of more advanced info that isn't available elsewhere.
Have you tried the yellow, 967F Belts for roughing yet?
I LOVE them. They seem to offer more bite, and seem to stay like new quite a bit longer. They're designed for freehand grinding where maximum pressure isn't applied.
The yellow color is a nice break from the traditional brown/orange, too.

RJ Martin
Old 10-02-2001, 08:43 AM
srjknives

Bob Doggett and I picked up one each in Orlando. I've neglected to use mine yet, but, upon your reminder and recommendation, will be doing so soon. Gotta get the rest of my blades for AKI and Milano into heat treat FAST!

Keep on commenting, these tips are surely welcome, that goes for everyone. There are some great makers sharing some great techniques here and we all appreciate it.
Old 10-02-2001, 12:17 PM
Mike Conner

Here is a belt source that will make you just abput any size belt you may ever want.
Econ-Abrasives Their contact info is 800-367-4101 or in Dallas it is 972-377-9779. They are located at P.O. Box 1628, Frisco, TX 75034.
Hope this helps,
Mike
Old 10-02-2001, 02:04 PM
srjknives

Thanks, Mike. Great resource. Sometimes we don't look past our own personal address book!
Old 10-06-2001, 07:45 AM
RJ Martin

Mike: Are these standard Aluminum Oxide Belts or is this company a 3M distributor?

RJ
Old 10-06-2001, 06:56 PM
Mike Conner

I believe that they are just standard, I would have tp find my cataloque for them. They make the belts up to order, so they can make any size you want.
Mike
Old 10-07-2001, 12:44 AM
srjknives

Thanks, Mike. When you find that catalogue, could you drop us a note?

Thanks for your time and contacts.

Tags
blade, knife