MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 12-18-2001, 12:32 PM
JossDelage

Dremel tools and similar

What do people think about those? Are they useful? Would they be powerful enough to cut grooves in annealed damascus billets?

I'm considering asking one for Xmas... What features / configurations, brands, etc would people recommend?

Thanks,

JD
Old 12-18-2001, 04:25 PM
DC KNIVES

Joss,I have 2 Dremels,one with the flexible handpiece.I couldn't get by without them anymore.I use them for cutting my slots in guards,filework,cleaning out tight areas,buffing tight areas,etc.Once you have one I think you will find alot of uses.It should cut the grooves you asked about,but you need to realize that these are not real heavy-duty tools so go easy and don't force them.Foredom makes a great tool also,much more expensive but I have heard great things about it.Dave
Old 12-18-2001, 07:48 PM
John m cohea

Dave said it all Joss. I also have two, and they are constantly in use. The various attachments available for them also makes them quite handy tools to own. I have the flex shaft and router base for mine. You can buy the dremel or craftsman brand,as craftsman brand is made by dremel for sears.Price is also the same.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:10 PM
primos

Rotary tools such as Dremel are great little gadgets. I just burned up my second Dremel. I'll be on my way to buy another one in the next few days.

For cutting grooves in Damascus, I assume you are talking about for patterning such as ladder pattern. A great tool for that is an angle grinder. I imagine you'd work a little Dremel to death in short order using is for that. All you need is a small one, and they aren't that expensive. I bought a little Makita with 4" discs several years ago and it's still going strong. I buy the discs at a wholesale tool shop here in town for about $1 a piece.
Old 12-18-2001, 08:52 PM
JossDelage

Thanks all - this is good, useful info.

JD
Old 12-18-2001, 11:47 PM
srjknives

I have two. One an old, maybe 20 yrs. model,
which is still going strong and another newer variable speed. I like and use them both, but not for damascus work, only for cleaning up the cut-out on my Classic Hunter thong slot on the handles and for polishing up the solder fillet, mainly.

I'd guess that grinding heavily on damascus would wear this type out quickly. I'd go with the above suggestion of the angle grinder.
Old 12-20-2001, 09:17 AM
Cactusforge

I use a R model Foredam it is a great tool a lot more power and the flex shaft adds stability to the hand peace I would be lost without it. I have a Dremmal for back up. But none of these tools are heavey duty. Thay are good for clean up cutting slotes in gards, one thing about them is that you will find is if you need to finish up by hand as these tools will cause you to make mistakes at a faster rate than hand work.
That said thay are indispensable. Gib
Old 12-20-2001, 10:49 AM
J Loose

My advice is to skip the Dremel completely. They don't have any power and seem to burn out at the drop of a hat.

Get a catalog from Rio Grande 800 545 6566 and look at the 'Flexible Shaft,' tools. They have 1/4 - 1/3 HP and a variable speed foot-pedal, drill style key chuck and you can get them reversible. I have ground small fullers in annealed steel no prob with one of these. The comment concerning the angle-grinder is a great one, though... indispensable!
Old 12-20-2001, 11:54 AM
JossDelage

Thanks all - I'll go for the grinder, if I find out I need it... For fitting & finishing, I want to do it by hand for the moment. Files, stones, sandpaper, and sweat... When I'm more experienced, we'll see. Later, maybe a Foredom. I've heard bad things reg. the Dremel on another forum too, FWIW.

Thanks!

JD
Old 12-21-2001, 10:28 AM
Geno

I don't buy the V/S dremels. The single speed models work much better and last longer. Ryobi makes a good V/S model if you need one.
I buy dremels at the pawn shop for 15.00 or 20.00 bucks, tops.I have a half dozen set up to run different tips.
These little tools help out alot.
BTW I don't care for the shaft models.
( friction, vibration, heat,maintianance)
Old 12-21-2001, 03:45 PM
srjknives

Good comments, everyone. Th pawn shop is a great idea. I'll be checking one out tomeorrow.

I guess most machines will hold up fi they're maintained. The heavier the work, the heavier the tool probalby is a good guide. My work with my Dremels is pretty light and they don't get used much. A "smith" would probably do tougher jobs.

Thanks, everybody.