MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 02-09-2002, 08:42 AM
Bob Warner

Grinding curves

I am thinking about make a "KRIS" blade but am wondering about grinding the curves.

Is there a method (notice I did not say TRICK) that works well for grinding non-straight blades. Even blades such as a recurve are difficult to grind and keep the grind lines evenly flowing with the cutting edge.

Straight blades are easy because the 2" wide belt helps you stay straight by riding in the grind. But recurves and Kris type blades would not lend themselves to 2" wide belts. I could use the edge of the belt rolled over the edge of the wheel but that does not produce a smooth grind. I don't have a smaller grinding wheel.

Flat grinding is possible on the platen or on the disc grinder but I'm not sure how well that would go either. I may end up using files.

Any pointers?

Any pointers?
Old 02-09-2002, 04:57 PM
BCB27

Bob,

I haven't attempted a Kris blade myself, but it should be like doing a succession of recurves. In other words, I suspect that it would be the same, just more difficult.
What I have found to work for me is to grind the recurved blade as normal (easier to establish good line, IMO) until I am almost finished roughing it out. The inside curve area(s) is still going to be thick towards the edge, so I concentrate on these areas by using the edge of the platen and being careful to apply the pressure towards the edge. Otherwise, you can really move the top of the grind line. I haven't tried it yet with hollow grinding, but I would assume the edge of the wheel would work similar to the edge of the platen.

Brett
Old 02-09-2002, 09:41 PM
srjknives

Ditto.

Down South they use 1" wide wheels, would this be a way to go?

Otherwise, just the edge of the wheel, maybe rounded off somewhat?

Sorry I'm not much help.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:01 PM
allan lanigan

If a flat or convex grind work for you ,here's a method that you could experiment with.Hope i can explain it here goes, Hold blade vertically with the contact wheel,,and draw the blade up and down..If you point the tip of the blade at a angle away from you pointing towards the floor, you will see how the grind line is going...angle the blade to change or blend grind...This is how i do kukri blades...
Old 02-11-2002, 11:05 PM
srjknives

Maybe that's the answer, try a variety of techniques and find somehting that works for you.

Thanks, everyone.
Old 02-12-2002, 06:42 AM
Bob Warner

Like everything else, I guess it is practice, practice, practice. I was just hoping someone would tell me, "It is really easy if you do it like this." I should know better by now.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:53 AM
srjknives

That's usualy the bototm line. But, hey, you'll have fun trying different ideas! I've got a feeling that you'll come up with an excellent blade.
Old 02-15-2002, 03:08 AM
aclivea

Grinding curves

Usually if you cut right on the join you can split a 2inch belt OK. Then grind from underneath with the belt going away from you or drop your platen down so you can work on top.You will get a slight convex grind though.
Old 02-15-2002, 11:07 AM
srjknives

You can buy and try a few 1" belts, also.

Tags
blade, knife