MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 03-27-2002, 08:11 PM
SIGGI

Here is Jerry's Engraved Knife example. Very Nice!

Before:

After:

Bob Sigmon
Old 03-27-2002, 09:55 PM
Frank Niro

engraving

I believe Bob Warners comments to be accurate and most comprehensive. Frank Niro.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:55 PM
srjknives

Re: engraving

Thanks Jerry and Bob. Your point is well taken. Nice, very nice.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:59 AM
SIGGI

JerryO,

Just as an example for we who know nothing about engraving, about how much did the engraving on the knife in your pics add to the cost of the knife?

Bob Sigmon
Old 03-28-2002, 12:43 PM
JerryO13

$150 and I got it back in 2 weeks.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:53 AM
JossDelage

Personally, I would rather spend money on a scrimchaw. Not sure why that is. This bowie is the perfect example of something that could convince me to go for some engraving. It doesn't make the knife too precious or fragile. But generally, I feel engraving makes a knife too much for show and not enough for use. It's totally subjective of course, but I guess in my mind I still associates scrimshaw to rough sailors' life, and engraving to the aristocratie.

From a business point of view, I also think that engraving should be commissioned by the customer, not the maker. The way I think about it is, when you make a knife, you have a given pool of potential customers, say 100. When you add engraving, you're going to get some of those 100 potential customers who:
- Can't afford the knife know that it's engraved;
- Don't like engraving that much (that includes people for whom the engraving decreased the value of the knife - rather unlikely - and the people who put value to the engraving, but not the true value);
- People whol *DO* like engraving, and *WOULD* have had the knife engraved, but don't like *THIS* engraving.

Of course, you probably also are now attracting new customers, that you're non-engraved knife was not attracting. However, I feel this is a minority becasue those customers are probably savvy enough to know that they can get the same engraving themselves, and can envision a "naked" knife engraved.

JD
Old 03-29-2002, 08:48 AM
srjknives

Sometimes it's hard to face that fact that some knives will never get used.
A note from a customer which I received yesterday "officially" informed me that a large fighter/survival which I made for him a few years ago has never been, and never will be, used. Even though he fully intended such at purchase. Some of these things that you guys and gals make are definately considerd art and will never see the light of the woods or the jungle, desert, etc.

Engraving is good, for some, less desired for otheres and almost despised by still others.

Loveless makes "using knives." He probably would be expected to be disgusted with engraving on a Dropped Hunter. How many have you seen engraved? Lots of them, some commissioned even by him. It certainly can add a touch of class to a knife that's classy before the engraving. Engraving is very personal, at times, but at other times, simply decoration, or an added reason to hike the price. To each his own, for sure on this subject. Maybe this is one time when everybody can have his own opinion and everybody is right!

Man, that little comment went on.....and on................. Sorry.

Old 03-29-2002, 11:32 PM
tim adlam

Thanks Steve and Brett for the welcome to CKD and thank you to all that have participated in this thread on engraving. I really learned a lot from your opinions. I never thought that there could be this much passion regarding decoration on custom knives! I sympathize with Steve in that clients would rather put your work away in a vault rather than use them as they were designed and intended to be used. Unfortunately, in part, that's a result of the reputation and noteriety of the maker/artist and the collecting market mentality. I like it when someone commissions a piece with the intent that they will also enjoy it in the field whether it be a gun or knife. That's a sophisticated client! I find Joss's comment interresting. I also do scrimshaw, and I view it to be way more fragile in use or handling than I would engraving, mainly because of the base material which properly, for knives, should be ivory. I agree totally that decoration is subjective to individual taste. THAT'S the challenge I face when it comes to dealing with knifemakers and customers. Generally I find that when a maker wants an engraving job, he already has the client(s) lined up. The last one I did for a maker sold immediately. "WIN, WIN"!! I really appreciate learning from you guys. I've gained a bit of knowledge over the years as to what goes into a quality handmade knife. It allows me to EDUCATE my customers on the nuances of fit and finish, the design-sense of the particular knifemaker and so forth. I want my customers to feel the same passion that I have for my work and the objects I decorate. Plain and Simple, I JUST LOVE KNIVES!! My best to you all, Tim

Old 03-30-2002, 09:25 AM
SIGGI

Tim,

Post a thread in the supply forum and get your contact info listed in the main supplier list. (If you not already there, I just had the thought and did not check the list)

Bob Sigmon
Old 04-11-2002, 09:45 PM
Coop747

Hello guys,

I just stumbled onto this thread, but it sure hits home. I LOVE engraving. For all the reasons that have already been mentioned. And for the first time I have started dealing with a couple of engravers as well, and just as the bond with knife and maker gives personal value to a piece, this added artist is yet another 'human' component in this piece.

It has been talked over again and again, that the value we place in our custom's is not simply because of the quality of the work, which is important, but fundamentally there because of the integrity and character of the makers. For this reason some maker's are VERY highly sought after. They have established themselves in particular good standing in the whole community. Their knives are ones we, as collector's, are proud to own. (I'm preachin' to the choir here!)

Anyway, as I am working with these engraver's I am finding wonderful, different personalities and style differences. Now the work that they are doing is even more special than had I simply acquired that knife already finished.

Regardless of whether I have an opportunity to work with an engraver on an existing canvas, or have picked up something already completed, there is something VERY intriguing about the amount of time, skill, and artistry compacted in such a small confine.

Now add in a scrimshander as well, and you have a community working together!!

I've said enough. Thanks!!

Coop
Old 04-11-2002, 11:04 PM
srjknives

Thanks, Coop. Some very good comments about the relationship makers, engravers and collectors have.

Theknife business wouldn't be what it is without the interaction between tha participants, from supplier to maker to collector, to purveyor, photographer, engraver, etc., etc.

I checked out your web site and fell in love with that pretty little Laguiole desk knivfe. Plan to make one of those if I can...

Old 04-16-2002, 12:54 PM
Coop747

As I had mentioned... Here's a look at some very nice engraving. More importantly is the time Jim has spent chatting with me. I'm pleased! Thanks, Steve for your compliments!

pub42.ezboard.com/fcustom...=700.topic

Coop
Old 05-13-2002, 10:36 PM
srjknives

Mr. Bob Doggett:

We NEED to see that latest hunter; before and after engraving by Julie Warenski. You have photos of each, no?

That would be very nice of you, unless it's being reserved for something bigger and better....

Merci!

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives