MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 07-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nozh_scrap
Old german hunting knife, and old bayonet

Hey guys.

I've had these two knives for a very long time, and I really know nothing about either of them. The first is what appears to be an old WW2 bayonet of some sort. It kinda looks like an old Ka-Bar, and has a stacked leather handle. I've seen a newer reproduction knife made by Camillus that looks just like my old one, and they say it's a paratrooper knife.

The second is an old german hunting knife. On the blade it reads "PIC Sportsman Line Pro Hunter Surgical Steel #13972 Solingen Germany" It has a stag handle with 3 pretty crude looking brass pins and a pewter guard. Kinda looks like a Puma or somethin. It ain't in the prettiest condition... My uncle gave it to me because he thought I'd be able to take care of it and look after it better than he could.

I was a kid when I got the old bayonet. I had some skateboard parts that an older boy up the street wanted, and he offered that old bayonet for trade. I hesitantly took it. I say hesitantly because I knew my father would be upset if he knew his 11 year old son was toting around and playing with this old bayonet. He taught me knives were to not be played with (I didn't listen...lol) and when I got it home I tried to hide it, but he saw it. He was like GIMME THAT! and was actually excited instead of upset like I thought he'd be. He was proud of my trade. I wasn't because I thought the older boy ripped off all my good skateboard parts.

Anyway, I have no idea what either of these are, and I was hoping to get some help from you guys. Thanks for lookin, and I appreciate any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jul14380.JPG (13.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Jul14382.JPG (13.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Jul14383.JPG (12.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Jul14384.JPG (13.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Jul14386.JPG (19.5 KB, 45 views)

Old 07-14-2005, 10:54 PM
Steel Addict

oh yeah... the german hunter has a sheath too. Not sure if it's original or just generic, but it looks old, and fits the knife very well.

I'd like to apologize for the terrible photo quality. I just have a webcam for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jul14387.JPG (13.7 KB, 96 views)

Old 07-16-2005, 12:20 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
That "bayonet" is a pilots survival knife. The pattern was made by several companies, Camillus, Pal , Ontario, Marbles. Any makers mark or numbers on it?

That PIC is an oldie. Don't every recall seeing one that old looking. I do recall seeing some that looked like Puma's tho. I think the companies may have been connected in the past.

Cool knives, thanks for showing them.

Old 07-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Steel Addict

thanks for the info man...

There's absolutely no markings at all on the pilot knife. No numbers, no stamps or anything at all. Other than being old, and having a dark pitina that covers it, it's in pretty nice shape. The leather has kinda shrunk, and the guard is a bit loose, but other than that it's in about a good a shape as it can be. I know that during WW2 all kinds of different companies (some unexpected) made guns and knives for soldiers. Knowing this, and knowing my knife has no markings makes it feel impossible to identify. I'd be thrilled if Marbles made it.

I tried searching for the PIC knife on the internet, and found little to nothing. The knives I did see didn't look anything at all like mine. I wonder how old it is...by the look of the stag, it looks ancient, but it also could have been mistreated or neglected, not knowing the origins of it's owners.

think they could be worth anything?

thanks for the help man

Old 07-17-2005, 07:07 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
That would be thrilling if Marbles made it. But I think it would need a stamp like this. you could try the old ebay trick and list it as "steril" heehee.

I'll snoop around a bit on the PIC.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Steel Addict

cool man...thanks alot.

Tags
blade, hunting knife, knife, knives