MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 11-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Steel Addict

Any thoughts on the HF Inverter Welder?

I thought I'd tap into the almost limitless knowledge here and see if anyone has any experience or opinions of the Harbor Freight Inverter Welder

I've got an old AC stick unit that is starting to really fall apart. I've never done any TIG welding, but a unit like this sure makes it look like I could afford to learn. It's DC only, so I know that I wouldn't be able to do any aluminum welding with it, but that's not a need that I can currently forsee.

I'm thinking of general welding needs like making a quench tank, welding up new press dies, minor repairs on equipment, that kind of thing. I'd like to keep the cost below $500 if anyone has a better suggestion.

Thanks in advance for any help you fine folks can offer.

- Mike

Old 11-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Guru

Mike, I have been welding for about 35 years , mostly MIG and stick but some TIG.While this will work for the homeowner, it has a low duty cycle and not much power so anything heavy is out.Light things like a quench tank would be ok, but not much more.I would rather get a MIG that has a little more power and use an Argon/CO2 mix.Much better welds and ultimately more usefull.TIG's are the way to go if you got the bucks to get a decent setup because you can weld almost anything with ease.I hope this helps some. Dave
Old 11-08-2005, 03:13 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Of course the perfect set up would be an AC DC transformer rectifier by Miller, Hobart or Lincoln with a MIG and TIG package. Barrring that, my friend bought the Chicago 220 mig from HF. He wanted the 115,but went with more power. That machine surprised me. It works really well for a cheapie. So, that little Tig box might be a surprize too. If the reostat is any good,you can dial it in to chase a bead as fine as a hair. A tig in my opinion is the artists welder. With practice, you have much more control to place exacting welds exactly where you want them with almost zero splatter. That is because, as you know, DC can be used in reverse. Meaning that the work is hot and the electrode is ground. This causes the weld to be pulled into the work instead of being blown into it. Deeper penetration and low splatter translates into better welds with less clean up. Arc welding with DC has the same benifits. With HF's return policy it seems like it would be worth a try. With the bottle, gauges and hose for the Argon you are looking at well under 500. If you end up returning the tig, you can use the Argon set up with a less expensive flux core Mig you buy. I want a tig set up real bad. If you try it, let us know the results. I am 20 years out of the field, and very rusty. If the machine is DC+ you can weld Aluminum. DC- not so good but I believe it can be done. (correction requested) The ad does not specify if it is DC + or -.

I thought I saw a bolt on mig wire feed at HF also.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Two things I saw when I looked at that welder. 1. It recommends 1/16" electrodes.....you'd be lucky to weld 1/8" material with that. 2. 35% duty cycle which means you could weld a max of 21 mins. out of an hour before the welder would overheat and shut down.

I know the price is tempting, but I would rather see you go to Home Depot and buy a little Lincolin Weld pak 100 than to see you stuck with one of the machines you mentioned. Several years ago Cindy bought me a little Lincoln for my birthday. I like it because it's 110V and I can plug it in just about anywhere. It's still only good for up to 1/4" material, but since owning it I've gone through 5, 10lb rolls of wire, and it's never missed a beat.

I'll be going out to Seattle this weekend, and will be picking up a new welder from Kelly Cupples....well not NEW, but new to me. It's a Lincoln SP-200 MIG machine that should fill the void I now have between my little Lincoln and my OLD Lincoln 220amp "buzz box".

You might want to give Kelly Cupples a call or send him an email and ask him about a welder for your needs. Kelly is about the most knowledgeable person I know, and a super nice guy to boot! Kelly's email is: octihunter@charter.net

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Skilled

I have one and am very happy with it. I got it for doing fine work. As Ed mentioned it does have a 35 percent duty cycle but that is as full power. And for larger work I go to the arc welder anyway. For most knife related stuff you will proably never reach that 35 percent limit. It does have a saftey shut down so you won't burn the machine up. At the power range that I use it I have never had it shut down. One thing is that is is uses a strike arc method for starting the arc, takes some getting use to if you have ever used a TIG with a self starting arc you know what I mean. I will eventually make a foot control for it to boost the current when starting.

If you use it within its limits I think you will be happy with it. However welding hammer dies is definately out.

Jerry
Old 11-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast

Hf Tig Mig

Have both units (240V MIG Dual and the TIG). Great values for the money, both
of them. TIG is a "lift arc" unit - you don't have to ruin the tungsten electrode by
striking-to-arc.

TIG will also do stick welding. Exceptionally compact unit.

Rashid

Tags
knife