MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Registered

Blade stamps...

as stated before I am quite new to this craft. I was wondering what do you folks use to mark or personalize you blades. stamps etched grind engrave whatever it is all help is appreciated. thanks again ... matty
Old 09-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Guru

I etch my mark with stencils made my IMG Electromark. I can get a very small mark with lots of detail. I don't hammer out any blades, just stock removal, so there may be less incentive for me to consider a stamp.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 09-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I think the vast majority of makers use the electromarking method that AcridSaint talked about. I know I do. Even some of the makers who forge their blades use this method rather than a stamp. And, I'd have to guess that very, very few makers who don't forge would use a stamp. So, if you plan to forge, you could consider a stamp if you wanted to but the electromarking processes offers much more flexibility, especially if you make your own stencils....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast

I have a custom stamp for marking, as well as a Bob Warner style home etching unit. I use both methods, depending on what I am marking.

Both methods work very well if you follow the advice of the creators and other experienced knife makers.

Etch:
To learn about making a electro etching, I would check out Chris Crawford's site as he has graciously delved deeply into the construction of the Warner style elector etch - saving the rest of us hours of headaches. (look under the tutorial section):
http://www.chriscrawfordknives.com/

Stamp:
I used Henry A. Evers to have a stamp made. The process of having them make it was remarkably easy. They are very nice people to work with, and the craftsmanship of the stamp I received is superb. They were happy to answer all the stupid questions I asked. I highly recommend them if you go the stamp route. The price was very reasonable.
http://www.henryaevers.com/

Hope this helps.
One more thing: if you do the electro etch - FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. The first unit I made "sort of worked" because I did not follow the directions as closely as I should have. If you follow the directions to the LETTER, you will not be disappointed.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Registered

I fount the plans for the etcher but could any one give a how to use the unit. did a search didnt really see any info. thanks all....matty
Old 10-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Guru

I am one of the very, very few guys Ray talks about. I use an Evers stamp and have loved it. No real desire to go to etching when this works great. Dave
Old 10-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast

Check out Ray's comment in this thread for your answer: http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=41682

Tags
blade, forge, knife