MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 02-23-2005, 06:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Fake scagel round two

Is this that fake that was on ebay a couple months back? Sure looks like the same knife to me. I wonder if "be kool" is "show time" or "Hcutt"? ooooorrrrr, just a new guy with some stolen pics? Looks like they found a way to by pass the heads-up emails by making it a private auction. Slick little devils ehh? Bernard Levine warns that private auctions are a first clue to shady goings on. I believe it now.

This auction (click here)

Last auction (click here)

Last thread on the subject (click here)

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 02-23-2005 at 07:09 AM. Reason: add blab
Old 02-23-2005, 10:40 AM

Same fake! This time it appears to be coming out of Estes Park, CO - very near my home! I'm still tempted, as I was last time, to pursue this wandering fake's trail just to see where it leads. But my common sense says that would only lead to trouble.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:33 PM

Is it possible somebody wants to get out from under their bad deal by passing it on...? ####.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Buddy, you really shouldn't!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 02-23-2005, 12:49 PM

Coop - I think you hit the nail on the head!
Robert - I know I shouldn't but why do y o u think I shouldn't?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Registered

Who was the first to figure out this was a fake and how did they figure it out? I seem to only collect my knives but I guess I should know some of this stuff too...
Old 02-26-2005, 01:54 AM

Tracy,
As I recall, Roc (Hammerdownnow) posted ? maybe 6 months ago concerning "Scagel for sale on eBay." I have an interest in William Scagel, his knives, life & times etc. so I checked the eBay listing out and instantly felt it was a fake. I then confirmed my suspicion by checking with experts in the area.

Long story short, I've been fortunate to own some Scagel knives, photograph quite a number of them, examine at length, up close and personal, probably 50 authentic Scagel knives plus many of his other creations, studied many of his personal papers, read everything there is to read about him, given presentations about him, gotten to know other collectors of his knives etc. - nothing special, just the kind of thing any avid collector might do over time. What I'm saying is that to me and others familiar with Scagel's knives it is an obvious fake.

The dilemma is that opinions are divided about the wisdom of pointing out the details that reveal this knife as a fake. One camp feels publicly stating such things simply gives the fakers the precise information they need to make more convincing fakes. The other camp feels that knowing the details enhances their appreciation of Scagel and his role as 'grandfather' of the modern era of custom knife-making, enhances their making or collecting of custom knives in general etc.

The position I was and am in is delicate. While I can certainly appreciate both points of view - I won't betray the trust of those who have so generously helped me along the way in my pursuit of William Scagel's knives, other artifacts and information about him as they feel rather strongly that it would be inappropriate to publicly broadcast such information.

What I can say is that the reasons this knife is recognizable as a fake are exactly the same reasons repeatedly outlined by Bernard Levine and others out there who know a great deal more about the whole counterfeit scene than I do. It boils down to having enough familiarity with real Scagel knives, the way he did things, the materials and tools available to him during his active knife-making years etc. to be able to spot the differences.

If you're interested in more information about Scagel and images of his knives you can search the KN forums and find some pretty good threads and discussions about him.

Hope you can appreciate my position. Thanks, Tracy.
Buddy
Old 02-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Registered

yep, not a problem buddy.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Auction yanked

Old 02-28-2005, 03:31 PM

Roc,
Interesting that it was 'yanked.' Under what circumstances can that happen on eBay? Not being very familiar with the way things work there, I'd be interested in what you know about it.
Thanks!
BT
Old 03-01-2005, 06:17 AM
Hall of Famer

Sorry Bud, I know nothing. I was not watching and someone at Levine's noticed it had been pulled. Guess all we can do is keep an eye out for it to surface again. I was reading Mr. Levines response and wondering what it meant exactly.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Skilled

I'm not a student of Scagel (love most of his work that I've seen, though). I've gleaned a small collection of pictures off the Internet of his work, and work in his style. This just doesn't look right to me. Neither the blade nor the handle are quite right.

A theif is a theif. I have no sympathy for 99% of theives.

A blog I share with a friend where we think out loud upon occasion: http://shareourcampfire.blogspot.com/

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My new blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/
Old 03-10-2005, 11:18 AM

What kind of deer antler do you think that is? BT

Tags
blade, knife, knives