MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:44 PM

Question Production Collaboration Deals

Life has seriously gotten in the way of my goal of making knives for a living. But in the mean time, even though I wasn't able to get out to the shop, I've been working on some innovative designs in my head. These designs will become reality within the next couple years, which leads me to my problem:
Although in most industries everyone seems to know how much everyone else is making, in the knife industry NO ONE SEEMS TO TALK ABOUT MONEY. Before I invest a lot of money in patents and copyrights etc. I'd like to have at least a general idea of what kind of money people are making with their collaborations with production knife manufacturers.

It's not that I'm a nosy kind of guy who wants to get into other peoples business. I just want to know what ball park I'm going to be playing in. Writers, for example, generally get 10% royalties for adult fiction or 5% for children's fiction (the other 5% goes to the illustrator.) I don't know if general standards like that exist in the knife industry, but I'd like to have SOME idea of what kind of deals other knife makers have made.

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, or not talking to the right people. I don't know anything about researching public records, and I'm not a gossipy type so finding out that way doesn't come naturally to me.

Any suggestions? All help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamey

Tags
knife, knives