MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2015, 03:09 PM
Guru

?!?Forge Coatings?!?

Hey guys quick question i am in a lil bit of info overload. So as i have said before i recently got a new lil propane forge. Now the dimensions are 10 in deep by 8 in diameter (with out the ceramic wool blanket) once you put the blanket in it makes the diameter of the chamber roughly 5.5 in. A few days ago i was using flux and some of it came off the fire brick floor and ate a small spot of the ceramic blanket away. Its not enough to make a difference i dont think but its enough to make me want to properly coat it. I was originally planing to coat it with a refractory furnace cement i have (was purchased in home depot) but i coated a couple of bricks with this stuff to use as a "door" for the front and back of forge. I noticed first as it was heated it bubbled up and turned hard but brittle if you tap the bubble with anything hard it just shatters and then i noticed the center point of the back the coating on the brick actually melted into what looked like lightly green colored glass. I figured that cant be good now if i was going to use this on the inside of the forge i guess i would thin it out until it could be brushed on with a paint brush. On the bricks it went on thick so i dont know if that would make a difference. So i want to get a coating for it. But there are so many things out there. Just one site for example (hightemptools.com) has satinite mortor, refractory cement, bubble aluminia refractory, ins-tuff ceramic fiber rigidizer, THEN itc-100, mizziou castable refractory, and 2 different cast-o-lite refractory. Thats just one site. Even tho i have the ceramic blanket in there now i still wanna get enough of that too (enough to cover the inside once or twice) just too have and also incase i screw up the coating somehow. I know there are some different brands but that site specifically has the "ins-wool" 1in and 2in and also 1in with a higher temp rating (2700 instead of 2400). Ok WoW i thought this would be a short question but i guess not SORRY. Basically i am just looking for people to share what they have done or have knowledge about the subject to point me in the right direction. Either way i want the top coating to be flux resistant if possible and i am not trying to spend a fortune just enough to get and help keep the forge in good condition. Also if you guys know any other websites that sells these products that i might do better with than the one mentioned above. THANKS ahed of time guys i am sure ill get good advice from everyone

Tags
advice, back, brand, burner, case, coat, fire, forge, hardware, heat, heat treat, home, hot, knife, made, make, paint, products, screw, simple, small, store, tap, weld, welding