MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:25 PM
Skilled

I'm going to back out of the kith...

And my reason is I don't really feel that this forum is very helpful, I work hard on a knife and post pics without a single comment.

So I'm pulling out of this kith.

Sorry, but I've got to move on.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

That's unfortunate (for us) because that's a great looking knife. Looks like you simply had the misfortune to post in the middle of a rapid in-depth discussion and you got buried. It happens....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Skilled

Yeah, but it seems to happen quite a bit. I don't have much time to make knives, little lone post about them.. so when my hard work goes unnoticed, I think either I'm not good enough or I need to find another forum. .
Old 09-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I understand where you're coming from with that. Still, most of us are in exactly the same boat - little time to make knives let alone post about them. Do you post something for every knife you see? probably most of the time you do but not every time. Neither does anyone else. That doesn't mean your work isn't good enough (because it is) , it just means most people are probably as busy with their lives as you are. There's a good bit of activity in that thread and, in my experience, most people read the last post and never look to see what they might have missed earlier. Its not personal, lazy maybe, but not personal.

Put the picture in the Chat Room picture thread and show up Sunday night and you'll surely get lots of critique. You've been there so you already know that ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Skilled

Don't take it personally. Just take a look in the Display Case. There are real works of art that don't have comments. People are the same whatever site you go to. That won't change. The true measure of your success as a knifemaker isn't an attaboy from your peers but when some one parts with hard earned cash for it.

And for the record, I for one would be honored to carry one of your knives.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:55 PM
Skilled

The chat room to me is lame, no offense but I'm to slow at typing to keep up and the conversation is to much to keep up with, that's why I don't do it. I just can't keep up!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Skilled

Kev, I saw your kith blade and thought " wow that looks great, hope mine turns out that nice". But I said nothing and went on with my busy day.. But I think it's kinda weak sauce to pull out of the kith because you didn't get enough atta boys.. The kith is for personal growth and learning to be a better knife maker and nothing more. I posted many a knife that dont get much response but that don't mean I quit making. I'm lucky to get even one response when I post a blade on knife dogs. I hope ya stick with the Kith... We are all here to learn, not for back pats.
~Nate
Old 09-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Skilled

We all like flattery but we dont always get it bud. Man up like we all should. Nice knife by the way.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Skilled

Sorry to hear this. I have been impressed that you have spent so much time on this project already.
I am also guilty for not posting but looking for words when I post.
I hope that you stay in. You have talent.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:52 AM
Skilled

The chat isn't so much about knifemaking, yes and no. There is a lot of rabbit chasing going on. The true benefit of the chat is building relationships. Quite frankly, in the smithing world most of the folks that seem to gravitate in that direction tend to be introverts so getting to know one can be challenging. With those relationships you can then talk to them one on one or even visit them (or them visit you).
Old 09-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Master

Just a thought, see it through and try not to refer to things as lame. Chances are you will run into many of the same folks elsewhere and not just screen names, but there are tons of "guests" that check on what's happening here. Best of luck, Craig
Old 09-26-2014, 01:22 PM
Skilled

Sunday chat is not lame... And I thank Ray for setting time aside from his busy life to do the chat. With all the guys that are on it I feel that there is a lot of information that is shared. You have nothing to lose by getting on the chat but there is much you can learn..
~Nate
Old 09-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Skilled

I guess I didn't mean lame, it's just hard to keep up with all the conversations going on, I prefer a 1 on 1 conversation. Plus I'm slow on a keyboard.

Sorry.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Master

I'd rather be making knives to sell than spending time on here saying "hey man nice knife" again and again and again............I do like to surf the new stuff in the evenings as time allows and do post up every now and then here and there.........don't take offense that response isn't over the top every post.......otherwise yes there are other options available..........

to add......there are other forums out there where elite knifemakers are far and beyond alot of our capabilities which receive 100's upon 100's of views with very few replies.......they don't quit or move on , they keep making cool knives even better than the last......get over it and go grind some blades !!

as for chat room you can always just read along and post when you feel like it if your typing skills lack, they to will improve when you participate in chat........99% of the time all questions are answered or at the very least discussed.........I personally thank Ray for his efforts in chat , he's a first class guy willing in all aspects to share his views tips and knowledge over and over and over again.....and yes I've met him in person, bent his ear for hours, kicked a few squirrels and left with more tips and tricks than you can grind in an evening

my rant.....anyways,.....can't chip away at the wait list sittin at the keyboard, coffee brreak is over
have an awesome weekend everyone !!

Old 09-26-2014, 03:30 PM

I have to admit that this post made me feel a bit...

You indicated that no one had commented and thus, the forum was not helpful. When I started making knives in 2005, I found my way to this forum and found it very helpful. Most of what I know of knifemaking was learned here on the Knife Network. However, that help came by asking direct questions about processes and techniques, reading other makers Q&A, studying photos to make mental notes about features I like and those I wish to avoid, and a great deal of 'learning through osmosis'.

When you post a pic and do not include questions, it is like you are just waiting for the 'back pats' to come in. In these cases, I reserve my comments for those blades that really catch my eye. I am a multi-media artist of many years experience and have a fairly high threshhold of what I consider 'eye catching'. I like simplicity and sexy lines in a blade. I also like things that are 'different'--anything different is usually good. 'Cookie cutter' stuff gets a bit boring.

That being said, my own sense of aestetic does not impugn anyone else's knife, yours included. Your construction and finish seemed solid. I just saw no reason to comment as my knife making techniques are very different than yours.

Now..., had you asked for a critique..., had you asked, "What works here? What could be better? What would you have done different?", that would have received many comments including congratulations and constructive criticism. It takes courage to ask for feedback like that, but a KITH is exactly the place to do it.

Best wishes. I hope your knife finds a good home with a happy owner.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Tags
advice, art, awesome, back, bee, blade, blades, building, display case, flat, grind in, home, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knifemaking, knives, make, making, man, post, project, tips