MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Guru

which kit/blade/etc for this handle?

Hello,

Have been working on some blocks I have. From the images below what would it best go with? size is 4 1/4 x 2 5/32 x 1/4

ed
Old 01-05-2006, 08:51 AM
Living Legend

Since the pattern isn't tight I don't think most of the folders would do it justice. When you go to a fix blade you’re going to want a large area. I will admit I am bias toward Knife Kits, but with good reason. Not that other kit knifes aren't good but Knife kits are in a different class than most of the others. I would think it would look good on the SG4 series or better yet on the Blue Ridge Hunter. It has a large area on the handle to show off the wood the best. Just be sure to ask if the length of the scales is enough for the handle.

Hope this helps,
Jim

By the way Alex, when did you guys slip the chef's blade in there? Are the new blades Knife Kits made?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Skilled

That pattern looks really good for a Warncliff or something similar. I don't know of any kits in that shape though. Also, that style of knife be a little small to show off the grain. Perhaps a skinner with a curved handle?

Old 01-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Steel Addict

I cant tell for sure but it looks like there might be some pretty impressive fiddle back in there after you finish them, which will tighten the pattern up some. If they were mine I wouldn't mind putting the inside of each block as you have them pictured on a Delta 5, they take a scale about 3 3/4 x 1 1/8. Maybe add a brass spacer underneath and on each end. Then use the rest to make a companion folder. Very impressive and interesting colour.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Guru

Hello,

From looking at the 2 sets I cut last night there's some very impressive things going on. Last night before going to bet I put some permalyn sealer and today they look even better. I still have some of the block left and may get 2-3 more sets from it.

I do have a n sg4 kit in drop point i'll match it up tomorrow with a cutout and see how that looks.

Ed
Old 01-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Steel Addict

Is that natural color Ed or did you treat it? and exactly what kind of wood is it?

Old 01-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Guru

this is crab apple. the ONLY thing I used on it was mineral oil to clean off all the dust from cutting. Other than that there's nothing on there at all.

Ed
Old 01-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Steel Addict

I would think that it might need to be stabilized, or is it pretty hard already?

Dave

Old 01-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Guru

I think technicaly it's a mix of both soft and hard. With the right finishing product it should harden up quite well. My all american folder is in crab apple. towards the end of finishing it was quite hard to work with.

Ed
Old 01-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Steel Addict

Well Ed you sure have my attention, I am a born experimenter, if you end up with any you can do without, I'd sure like to give it a go. I'll watch for your progress. I think the Sg4 idea would be good too, the scales are a little longer there than the Delta 5, but if you don't have enough length you could always add a filler/spacer out of a contrasting wood or other material... maybe a darker burl or a maroon or dark red paper micarta. Anyway, I'll watch for the progress.

Dave

Old 01-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Guru

From a post earlier I kinda like the brass liner idea, think that would really set it off.

Here is the rest of the block. I think i can get 2-3 more sets from it.

This one I did not clean it with mineral oil,
Ed
Old 01-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Steel Addict

Well Ed, send me an e-mail with what you need for an extra set if you are inclined to part with some, I'm bored, you have managed to spark my interest with this color and I sure do like red heads....

Dave

Old 01-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Guru

sure just give me your mailing address and i'll drop some in the mail to you.

I took a sheet of paper and cut the outline of the SG4 and placed it over one section to see what the final product may look like. Here's what I got.

Now these are treated with permalyn sealer by laurel mountain forge, no stain just the sealer.

Another I worked on this week is here,

this one was a royal pain to work with, biggest reason was new bandsaw and wrong blade. these will have to hae extra attention for fit as the cut was not that good still workable and I have something like 7-8 sets like this. This is definately a folder or a knife/fork/spoon or even a small fixed blade.

Ed
Old 01-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Skilled

I really dig the way the grain gets shown off in that last "what-if" pic above. That would be my choice.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives