MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association

Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association Dedicated to promoting custom knives and knifemakers.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Guru

kifemaker weekend

Howdy,
I've been organizing some informal get-togethers for knifemakers in this region. I pretty much drew a 1 hr radius circle around Bryan...but anyone is welcome. The goal is to get together on a monthly...more or less....schedule. Pretty much just a Saturday or Sunday where we show off recent projects, discuss tools, tips and ancient trade secrets, and fire up a forge or two. The first one will be at my shop in Bryan/Kurten on Dec 3rd. If this sounds like something you're interested in, shoot me an email at krag@kragaxe.com and I'll add you to the general email list. if you thought you were already on the list and never got anything...email me. Several people here at the forums expressed interest a while back, but never gave me their emails!

Old 11-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Hall of Famer

Wish I could come, Don, but I'm way down here in Brownsville.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Guru

That would be a bit of a drive! I made it to Laredo once from here in under 6 hrs. It's about 4 hrs to Beeville.

I want to host a more formal Hammer-In in the Spring. We have plenty of camping and indoor crash space for those coming in from waaaay out of town!

Old 11-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Skilled

Don
I would enjoy coming up to your place if a lowly grinder would not be fed to the feral chickens.
sent you my email address and hope for directions I'm from Waller so make them simple.

Stan
Old 12-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Guru

Just a reminder...this weekend is the first one. Saturday, anytime after 10:30. If anyone isn't getting the group emails that wants them, shoot me an email!

http://www.100megsfree3.com/kragaxe/...ammerin03.html

Old 12-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

A.M.? But we'll miss breakfast!?

Old 12-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Guru

I'll scrounge the forest for free-ranging eggs. Fasionably late is fine. Ken and Anthony from Waco were getting in around 10:30, Richard Epting was going to swing by later in the afternoon after he finished up some lanscaping jobs he working. Chester Darcy was coming out as well. I have a few more locals to harass by phone today.

Something bit one of the chickens in the head...so now we have a blind rooster hanging out in the backyard. How do you get a blind wild rooster to eat?

Old 12-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Butter, a little sage, cornbread.....

Old 12-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Guru

I haven't sprayed for grasshoppers since late August, so they ought to be safe to eat. Kinda scrawny, though. Probably tough as hell from all the running, too! maybe I'll go chicken hunting tomorrow morning. I'll drink a few beers and put on a blindfold to even the odds and make it fair.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

You will be using the cannon, right?

Old 12-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Guru

Well, the first one was good fun. Nobody caught on fire or bled...much. The weather was unusually warm for December and quite nice out. I had several emails asking when the next one is, so I'll keep it on a monthly schedule. I'll write it up for the TKCA newsletter and put an open invitation to any knifemaker as well so if someone not to local feels inclined to drive up, they're more than welcome!

Man...I want a leather boss!

Old 01-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Guru

Next one is this saturday. Lots of new guys looking to get started. If you need tubes for forge housings, I still have a pile of those...you cut them. Everything for cutting (discs from Harbour Freight) tubes and making burners and mounts can be had here in Bryan.

I'll be testing the bluing tank this week. I keep forgetting I only need about 300-400* and find it hard to resist the temptation to set it up for ultra high temps!

Heat treating...I have two small electric furnaces for doing small stainless blades and springs requiring air quenching.

Chris,
yes, I have large stumps for anvil stands. I'll be replacing mine so we can lop off a section for yours as well. They are oak and about 1.5-2ft diameter and heavy...probably more than what you want to drop on the back seat of a car.

Hopefully the weather will be decent although rain is predicted for sat! I have quite a bit of covered shop space, so even if it rains, it's not too big of a deal.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Master

Well, I'll be there come rain or shine. Not much in the way of show and tell lately. Anything I can bring Don?

As for the stump, that sounds pretty big to me. Maybe even too big. I'll have an SUV just in case we wanna dump a piece into the back. I appreciate the offer.

Just out of curiousity, what do you intend to use the blueing tank for? Just fittings or what? How big is that sucker? Can't wait to check it out.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Chris
Old 02-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Guru

I have some smaller diameter sections uncut. It was a 45' oak that fell in a storm a several months back, so there's a range of sizes. I'm sure we can find a section that will work.

The bluing tank is a really sophiticated design. I lopped off the bottom foot of an old 8" dia oxygen cylinder and welded on some bars at the top so it fits neatly in one of my large crucible furnaces. I'll use it for fittings, old revolver parts, small armour pieces....and maybe a wood rat or two to serve as a warning to the others.

Bring whatever snacks and drinks you like. I'll have hamburgers/hot dogs to grill.

Looks like the weather forcast completely changed. It's supposed to be absolutely clear and the upper 60's now as opposed to 50's and drizzle!

Old 02-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Master

Don, thanks for a great time. Weather was perfect. Good to see all that showed up.

Remember kids: "If it's spaulted, you get to charge more." — Don Halter

Tags
blade, forge, knife