MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association

Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association Dedicated to promoting custom knives and knifemakers.

Old 08-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Hall of Famer

Smile New Rio Grande Valley chapter of TKCA????

Since the Central Texas Knife Show I've been actively recruiting knife enthusiasts in the Rio Grande Valley area, Brownsville, Harlingen, McAllen, Padre Island, Port Isabel, and all points between and around. Corpus Christi area people are also invited to join in.

I've been trying to find knifemakers down here for several years without much success, but now I've already gotten over a dozen people interested.

I have lots more leads and am following up on those as I can. My expectation is to find at least two dozen makers, apprentices, collectors, purveyors, and dealers willing and happy to participate in our chapter.

I've found several experienced makers, some kit makers, some interested in learning the craft, sheath makers, etc., and all are interested in joining a new chapter of the TKCA. Interestingly, none of the people I've talked to know about TKCA

Most exciting to me, though, is that all have indicated a real interest in having a real knife show here in the Valley for the first time. I'm going to pursue this and get a knife show set up, probably in Brownsville, McAllen, or South Padre Island.

When we get our local chapter set up, we will have regular meetings with show and tell, and make some dust together. Y'all are invited.

So, all you members who would be willing and able to come down here for a knife show, please say so. That will give us an additional push for the show sponsors. If you would have a preferred location for the show, please tell me.

I know a few of our members are located in or near the valley or have family down here. Please get in touch with me. My phone number, email address, and home address are listed at the bottom of all my web pages.

I'm making up a list on my computer of interested people so that we can set up a first meeting.

Officers of TKCA, please tell me what I need to know in order to recruit new members, rules and regulations for local chapters, etc.

Thanks to all, and Hi to everyone I talked to at the show.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson
Since the Central Texas Knife Show I've been actively recruiting knife enthusiasts in the Rio Grande Valley area, Brownsville, Harlingen, McAllen, Padre Island, Port Isabel, and all points between and around. Corpus Christi area people are also invited to join in.

I've been trying to find knifemakers down here for several years without much success, but now I've already gotten over a dozen people interested.

I have lots more leads and am following up on those as I can. My expectation is to find at least two dozen makers, apprentices, collectors, purveyors, and dealers willing and happy to participate in our chapter.

I've found several experienced makers, some kit makers, some interested in learning the craft, sheath makers, etc., and all are interested in joining a new chapter of the TKCA. Interestingly, none of the people I've talked to know about TKCA

Most exciting to me, though, is that all have indicated a real interest in having a real knife show here in the Valley for the first time. I'm going to pursue this and get a knife show set up, probably in Brownsville, McAllen, or South Padre Island.

When we get our local chapter set up, we will have regular meetings with show and tell, and make some dust together. Y'all are invited.

So, all you members who would be willing and able to come down here for a knife show, please say so. That will give us an additional push for the show sponsors. If you would have a preferred location for the show, please tell me.

I know a few of our members are located in or near the valley or have family down here. Please get in touch with me. My phone number, email address, and home address are listed at the bottom of all my web pages.

I'm making up a list on my computer of interested people so that we can set up a first meeting.

Officers of TKCA, please tell me what I need to know in order to recruit new members, rules and regulations for local chapters, etc.

Thanks to all, and Hi to everyone I talked to at the show.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don, thanks for your active involvement in setting up the local chapter. It's a great idea, and something we have wanted to pursue since our inception. The Valley Chapter will be a first, so we'll have to play it by ear and make any changes to the by-laws as needed. We have limited funds as you know, but certainly will support your efforts financially as much as possible. Check out the web site, tkca.org for the current by-laws.

One thing I would suggest early on is to get as many of these people, that you have contacted, to go ahead and join the TKCA so we can get them in our data base for any mailouts, ie; newsletters, nominations, ballots, etc. You might also contact board member Ken Linton for a list of current members, we already have some active members in your area.

When you have your first organization meeting, if at all possible, I'll try to attend if I can be of any help.

Thanks again, and keep in touch.

Old 08-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Hall of Famer

OK, Johnny.

I'll call Ken and get the list.

I appreciate your offer to come down for our organizational meeting. I hope you do.

I'm going to continue to build up potential members before setting a meeting date.

We'll see if we can meet together within a few weeks.

I need details on signing up new members here. Is there a form or something to fill out? What would be the dues for the remainder of the year if they join in September, and do they prepay for next year at the same time?

I gotta have something on paper to use to sign them up.

Most of these guys don't use email or the internet.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Skilled

Quote:
OK, Johnny.

I'll call Ken and get the list.

I appreciate your offer to come down for our organizational meeting. I hope you do.

I'm going to continue to build up potential members before setting a meeting date.

We'll see if we can meet together within a few weeks.

I need details on signing up new members here. Is there a form or something to fill out? What would be the dues for the remainder of the year if they join in September, and do they prepay for next year at the same time?

I gotta have something on paper to use to sign them up.

Most of these guys don't use email or the internet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don, the membership application form is on our web site at http://www.tkca.org. You can print it out and mail it to the address shown. The membership dues run from Jan. 1 thru Dec 31 annally, otherwise it's a bookkeeping nightmare trying to keep up with when an individuals dues are due. The dues are $35.00 a year, but there is a late fee if paid after Dec 31st., so, their dues will be $4.00 per month for the rest of the year, then full dues due again at the end December. It would probably be best to pay the monthly dues til the end of the year and include next years dues at the same time, seems simpler that way.

Don, FYI; I've got 3 shows and my Hammer-In in the next 5 weeks, then the week of October 4-10 blocked out for a folder class, so it may be hard for me to break loose until mid October.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Hall of Famer

OK. Thanks, Johnny.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Hall of Famer

I'm posting this as an update to all the previous posts.

As I said, I've made up a list of people who are interested.

In addition, i've been teaching knifemaking in my shop way down here in Brownsville for some time. I have three graduate students and 3 more who are here with me now. The latest is from McAllen.

We're doing the classes on each Friday. All day, once a week.

Everybody is enthusiastic about having a local chapter or club and having meetings and a show, the very first down here, probably this fall.

We're encouraging people from both sides of the border to join us. One of my graduates lives in Matamoros. We'd like to have people from Mexico as far away as Laredo join us.

I've started an on-line School of Knifemaking on the knife Network Forums. Teaching all kinds of subjects.

I'd like to have someone to teach a class on fileworking for an on-line class that starts March 15th.

Bill Ruple, Don Morrow, anybody else, are you interested? I really admire the filework on your slipjoints. And the knives too!!

I've recently finished the first slipjoint I've made in about 13 years and like it so much I'm going to make some multi-blade folders too. I made the single blade slipjoint while teaching the internet slipjoint class.

So, people, if you'd like to join us, just say so.

Johnny, I'll be talking to you about having our first formal meeting down here.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Smile Calling Johnny Stout

Johnny, we have 3 or 4 knifemakers down here in the Valley who are interested in coming up together to one of your hammerins, maybe this fall?

Please send me the details.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Johnny, we have 3 or 4 knifemakers down here in the Valley who are interested in coming up together to one of your hammerins, maybe this fall?

Please send me the details.

Thanks.
Hi Don. Thanks for all your interest and involvement down there. It's just the kind of support that we ned.

The tentative dates for the Fall Hammer-In are Sept. 23-24. I don't have the agenda set yet, but will post it as we get closer to the dates and I get the instructors lined up. We had a great one in January, wish you could have made it.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Skilled

Quote:
I'm posting this as an update to all the previous posts.

As I said, I've made up a list of people who are interested.

In addition, i've been teaching knifemaking in my shop way down here in Brownsville for some time. I have three graduate students and 3 more who are here with me now. The latest is from McAllen.

We're doing the classes on each Friday. All day, once a week.

Everybody is enthusiastic about having a local chapter or club and having meetings and a show, the very first down here, probably this fall.

We're encouraging people from both sides of the border to join us. One of my graduates lives in Matamoros. We'd like to have people from Mexico as far away as Laredo join us.

I've started an on-line School of Knifemaking on the knife Network Forums. Teaching all kinds of subjects.

I'd like to have someone to teach a class on fileworking for an on-line class that starts March 15th.

Bill Ruple, Don Morrow, anybody else, are you interested? I really admire the filework on your slipjoints. And the knives too!!

I've recently finished the first slipjoint I've made in about 13 years and like it so much I'm going to make some multi-blade folders too. I made the single blade slipjoint while teaching the internet slipjoint class.

So, people, if you'd like to join us, just say so.

Johnny, I'll be talking to you about having our first formal meeting down here.

Don, call me when you can and we'll try to coordinate the dates for your 1st meeting. Sounds exciting!!

Old 02-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stout
Hi Don. Thanks for all your interest and involvement down there. It's just the kind of support that we ned.

The tentative dates for the Fall Hammer-In are Sept. 23-24. I don't have the agenda set yet, but will post it as we get closer to the dates and I get the instructors lined up. We had a great one in January, wish you could have made it.
I wish I could have made that one, too, Johnny, but didn't have the time to spare.

I'd really like to attend one with folders on the agenda. That is my main interest, along with a few others down here. Get Bill Ruple, Don Morrow, or somebody in their class and style to teach a slipjoint class and I'll be there with bells on!

We've got one of Bill's previous students down here. Rusty Preston from Port Isabel and his work is fabulous.

Tags
blade, knife, knives