MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association

Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association Dedicated to promoting custom knives and knifemakers.

Old 12-19-2004, 07:45 PM

Herbey need help

Hi i'm new to making knives and am not sure if i want to put alot of money into it but i heard that you make knives out of files and sandpaper. I was wondering if you could help me out and tell me where i can get some good files and some metal.
Thanks
Old 12-19-2004, 10:16 PM
Guru

If you want real cheap go to Harbor freight to get your files. They will work for the time being. Start practicing with some scrap metal laying around or from a junk yard. Even Mild steel will work fine just to learn how to get your bevels right. If you want some good stuff go to www.toolanddie.com and buy some 0-1 Timken Latrobe precision ground Steel. Its always nice to start off with a nice flat piece if your just beginning.

This should only last for a little while then youll be hooked. Then youll start spending some money to start grinding or forging. Its a Addiction thats hard to explain.

Good luck Hope this helps.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 07-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Herbey De Hoyos
sorry it took me so long to reply Zack but i havent been on line for a while but I ussally just get my old files from friends and neighbors that have old rusted ones and not being used just make sure yuo stay away from the cheap "foreign made" ones they are pretty much junk

Old 07-31-2005, 10:33 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

Hi, and welcome to the addiction of knifemaking.
I haven't been on line in a while, but I am tonight.
Making a knife is easy, making a good knife is challenging, making a perfect knife is a dream.
Making a knife with a file just takes time and attention.
Yes practice on mild steel until you get comfortable enough to put any more expense in it.
You can buy blade steel from any knife supply house, file it to shape, heatreat and finish it without power tools.
Hacksaws, files, and sandpaper, a drill helps too.
Pick a design and steel, transfer to the steel, cut, shape, semi finish(at least to 200 grit) then heat treat. Make sure all holes, stamps, and embelishments such as filework, or engraving has been done prior to heat treating.
Refinish the blade and assemble it.
Next the sheath, and that's another question, hahaha

If you click on my banner and go to my web page, you will learn a lot more about this subject(knifemaking)
There you will find blades, blanks (in cable damascus), videos on knifemaking from many top makers and artists, knife ideas, etc...
If I can help further, just e mail me from that page, I'm in Ft. Worth, TX. and would be happy to help get you started.
God Bless!

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives