MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 05-09-2002, 12:29 PM
Cyrus Chan

Back from ABS school

Hi Ed,
I had 3 1/2 smashing weeks in Old Washington. The Intro class was super ( Harvey Dean and Jim Walker are smashing guys )and the Damascus class with Don Fogg and Larry Harley can not be beaten when it comes to damascus..I really enjoyed it and guess what?
I got the Don Hastings scholarship!!!!!!!
Last but not least I took my JS test under Don Fogg and passed it.
I used 5160 and edge quenched it. The tempering was an experiment because the Paragon oven did not really work so I draw the back with a torch.
I just had a good time except that this is a dry county and we always had to drive 45 minutes to get our beer.
If any of you guys is interested in doing the class I highly recommend it.
Regards, Cyrus
Old 05-09-2002, 12:44 PM
John Frankl

congratulations, etc.

Cyrus,
Sounds like a blast. I think you did it right by combining those two classes rather than attempting to set aside another time, buy another plane ticket, etc.

Congratulations on the test. Many people say the test doesn't prove anything, etc. But, in my experience, it is an excellent test of basic knowledge and skill. What sorts of thermal treatments did the blade recieve prior to the torch draw? With 5160, properly forged and edge quenched, you might have passed that test even without the draw! But better safe than sorry.

John
Old 05-09-2002, 04:53 PM
Rik Palm

Cyrus !!!!

Are you back in Germany?
It was nice to meet you at the class
Old 05-10-2002, 09:47 AM
Cyrus Chan

Re: Cyrus !!!!

Hi John, I normalized the blade 3 x and annealead it once. I made sure that i did not heat the blade up too much when forging, then edge quenched it and tempered it for 2 hours in the paragon oven. But the temp was not right and so I decided to draw it one time with the torch. Everybody told me that I do not have to do it but I thought I stay on the save side.

Yes Rick I left Old Washington on monday morning at 8 am (Silas took me to Texarkana) and arrived on Tuesday 8 pm at home. I was dead!
Hey, it was nice to meet you in the class , I think we all had a good time. How was your journey back?

Regards Cyrus
Old 05-10-2002, 11:13 AM
Sweany

Kewl, sounds like a pretty good class

Anybody have any pics?
Old 05-10-2002, 04:21 PM
Ed Caffrey

Hi Cyrus!!

Sounds like you have a great time! I'm really glad you enjoyed you time here in the states! Now you can take that knowledge back and teach all those folks in Germany!

Now that you've got your JS test out of the way....the sky is the limit!

Old 05-11-2002, 12:39 PM
m williams

ABS School

Cyrus, it was indeed a pleasure to visit with you at Old Washington. Look forward to seeing more of your work and also seeing youi at the school in the future...........Mike Williams
Old 05-12-2002, 04:00 AM
Cyrus Chan

Re: ABS School

Thanks a lot guys! It was really impressive how everybody shared their knowledge with us beginners. The school definetely puts everybody's skills 2 years forward. All them little tricks that are so easy but efficient but will not come to your mind. Well probably Rick Palm can post some nice pictures of our class( Rick, congratulations again for your JS test) because I have no digital camera and do also not know how it works anyway.
Regards, Cyrus
Old 05-12-2002, 03:11 PM
Rik Palm

I have pics!! should I post some here?

Mr. Cyrus, was it you that missed the pic of me bending my knife? I can't remember, I did get one. I had to bend my knife twice though!

Just incase anyone has lots of time.... here's a mpg movie of Don using the air hammer to weld up a jelly roll.
Please be WARNED that its 1367k so it will take awhile to download. I bet 15 minutes at least on my old computer.

You've been WARNED
www.knifesmith.com/movies/Don.mpg

let me know if you have problems.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:56 AM
Cyrus Chan

Yep Rick , it was me ! But you got the picture, right !? This is definetely the place 'cause we are all forging. So, lets see all them action pictures, mate.
Regards,Cyrus
Old 05-13-2002, 07:41 PM
Geno

Cyrus, sounds like a good time by all.
I studied with Jim Batson when I took the class.
No telling who you will run into there.
Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you while you were in the states. I was about 3 1/2 hours drive due West in Ft. Worth.
Hope to see you next time you are here.
Glad you had fun.
Be Blessed!
Old 05-15-2002, 04:32 AM
Cyrus Chan

He Geno, I thought about visiting you but us Europeans are scared of them long distances in America 'cause you have to drive ever so slow and that makes us falling asleep.
Well you know how Old Washington is, no phone worked and you could not rent a car. I will hopefully be in Atlanta next year. So we might see us. Regards, Cyrus

Tags
blade, forging, knife