MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Steel Addict

Microscope recommendations please?

I am in the market for a microscope (been wanting one for quite a while) and I thought this would be the place to start. I'm a scrimshander, but I am also interested in trying engraving somewhere down the line (Bulino style engraving in particular). I have not really used any magnification in my scrimshaw. I have tried the optivisor but I dislike wearing anything on my head. Besides, When I tried the optivisor, I had to be about 3 or 4 inches from my work and it bothered my back and/or shoulders kind of hunching over my work.

I've been looking at the boom style microscopes at The Microscope Store
( www.microscopes.us ) and was wondering what you might suggest.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you very much!

Lori Ristinen
Old 12-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Guru

Hi Lori,

I use a Meji and a Baush & Lomb, both are excellent scopes.
You can find some great scope bargins on e-bay. Often half the price for a new stereo scope.
Good bets are older B&L, Leica, Nikon and Olympus stereo microscopes.
A fair price range would be $400 - $600.

This is what I look for in a good stereo microscope:

1. Binocular view with 45 degree inclination.
2. Variable zoom is a must-have feature.
3. 30 - 40 X on the high end of magnification.
4. The best quality optics affordable.
5. A working distance between the objective lens and work surface that you're comfortable with. (Usually somewhere close to 6 inches).

I would advise not to buy the first scope you see.
Take some time to research the makers and models.
Talk to people who use scopes for long periods of time.

A quality scope is a pleasure to use and you'll depend on it for a long time.

Tim

Old 12-15-2004, 12:20 AM
Steel Addict

Tim, thanks for the reply!

Where did you get your microscopes from? Ebay? Is there another website besides The Microscope Store, GRS, and ebay ( I suppose there must be) ?

For the past year or so I have been sort of looking for information on microcopes - nothing really serious, but listening to what others say (since I have wanted one for quite a while). I did try one out at the Blade Show from GRS, but frankly the price is out of my budget. My budget is closer to the $600 or $700 range. Whatever one I end up purchasing, I would expect thet eventually I will buy a better one when I can aford it.

I look forward to anyone else's opinion!

Thank you!
Lori
Old 12-15-2004, 08:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Lori, if you can find Steve Lindsays site (airgraver.com?) he has a special link about buying a microscope, and a good recomendaton for one. Tim's right, take your time and get the one for you.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 12-16-2004, 01:26 AM
Guru

Lori,

My Meji scope was purchased from GRS and the B&L from e-bay.
E-bay can be a great source for gaugeing the market price on used scopes.
Another alternative is a good refurbished scope from one of the many scope dealers out there.
One important point about getting a quality scope is whether or not they can be cleaned and/or repaired if need be.
Some of the Meji knockoffs that are sold cheap can't even be taken apart!
I've seen Meji's on e-bay for half the current retail price.
The older B&L's are solid scopes.
B&L made pods for Leica as well, (they look siimilar).
The Olympus SZ series is rated up there with the best.

Your budget is more than enough to purchase a lifetime investment with quality optics.
Give me a call if you need more help narrowing down the options.

Good hunting!

Tim

Old 12-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Registered

Microscope recommendations please?

Lori,
A fellow engraver that I know from the net has an Olympus SZ used scope with a flourescent lightring and 10XWF lens for sale. He posted it for sale yesterday or today on another forum. He has given me a lot of advice on buying a scope from ebay. His asking price is $350 and his e-mail is Longline@lightbound.com. His name is Charlie.
If I hadn't just recently bought one, I'd buy it.

James S. Cantrell
Old 12-17-2004, 06:19 AM
Steel Addict

Lori,
I bought a scope from them without a stand. I engrave for a hobby and it suits my needs. There is no name on it, no paperwork and it doesn't stay in focus through the zoom range. If I had to do it again I'd spend the extra for a used brand name especially if I spent all day looking through it. I must say they do have great customer service.
Here are two other sites I came across:
http://www.optekusa.com/preowned.htm
http://scopeshop.max-it.com/
Robert
Old 12-17-2004, 08:12 AM
Steel Addict

Lori,
Another site with buying info and sales/service:
http://www.absoluteclarity.com/
Robert
Old 12-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Steel Addict

I want to thank everyone for all their help. I'll probably talk to someone at the GRS booth at the Blade Show in June, unless something comes up in the mean time. I figured if I ended up purchasing a microscope from The Microscope Store, they say I can return it if I'm not happy with it.

Robert, I will check out the website links you gave me. Thank you.

James, I'll email the engraver you know about the used scope he has for sale and find out more about it, if he hasn't sold it already.

I still welcome anybody's comments or thoughts. I appreciate them all. I knew this would be the place to ask!

Thanks to everyone again!

Lori
www.LoriRistinen.com
Old 12-20-2004, 07:15 AM
Steel Addict

Lori
I bought a boom stand microscope from the microscope store over a year ago & am extremelly pleased with it, it is my 3rd scope & by far the best.
I wouldn't purschase one from anyone else. I paid only $675 for it & like it better than GRS's $1800 scope.
My 2 cents
Dusty Moulton

Old 12-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks again to everyone for giving me their "two cents". It was all appreciated. I will check out the links thant were posted.

Dusty, I'm curious to know why you like the microscope you bought from the microscope store better than the GRS one. Can you take it apart and clean it, can it be repaired? Others have said you might not be able to do that but maybe it depends on what kind (model) you buy.

I think I will take my time in purchasing a microscope. I will be going to Atlanta to the Blade Show and I will take some time and talk to GRS there about their microscopes and see what they have to say (and actually try one out).

If anyone has anything else to add, I still welcome it.

Thanks again everyone!

Lori
www.LoriRistinen.com
Old 12-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Steel Addict

Lori
The Microscope that Mike sells at the Microscope Store is a copy of the Meiji that GRS sells. Except that it is much more affordable. I have used the Meji scopes, Nikon scopes & Bausch & Lomb, & the scope I now have from mike is every bit as good as Meiji & better in clarity than my Nikon or Bausch & Lomb were. It can be taken apart & cleaned just like any good scope can & mike can do that also it the need should ever arise. I very much like the way the boom stand is set up over that of the others at least for my engraving. I have a photo of my engraviing bench in my Gallery here on the knife Network, if you want to take a look at it. Also Mike is great to deal with.
If you have any more questions please ask or even call sometime I am more than glad to help.
Dusty

Old 01-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Steel Addict

Lori:

I have a beat all story. I was living in Murfreesboro, TN and knew a diamond setter who worked under microscope. He said if I ever came across one like his to get it. A year later I went to an auction of an electronics manufacturer going out of business in Upstate NY, and purchased the identical microscope and boom stand for $65. I called him, and he said I'd stolen it at that price. It is a B&L stereo 7 model, and built like a tank.

When I took classes at GRS, I took the whole scope with me to see if they had an adapter for the Acrobat Stand, which I wanted to purchase. They did not, but had one in their computer for an Olympus. The engineer in the shop kept my scope and a few days later, they had made an adapter, and (I guess because they are good folks, and I spent a ton of money on other stuff), no charge for the adapter (Oh, I also bought the Acrobat). That stand is a must have if your going to do any work at varying heights or positions. The old boom stand was too difficult to orient; everytime I'd move the Engravers Vise or the BenchMate I was out of range and out of focus.

I'd still like to get a Meiji, but $$ are hard to come by.

Last edited by mgdesigns; 01-23-2005 at 11:28 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Steel Addict

Lori,

I bought the same generic microscope from the microscope store as mentioned and I love it. It's true that the zoom runs out of focus, on mine as well, but only at the very end of travel, and only slightly. However, a simple twist of the head elevator knob will correct this. After a while, you will find it easy to adjust to this. With scrimshaw, I found that once set, I hardly touch the zoom. I also made myself a cushioned headrest. This helps a lot.
I used the optivisor as well and once I switched, all my neck and back problems disappeared. I only wish I had your talent for color scrmming. Somebody ought to write a book! Hint, Hint

Old 01-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for your input. I plan on talking to GRS at the Blade show in Atlanta this June - find out what they have to say and actually try it out. Unless something comes up in the mean time and I find a deal I just can't pass up. I have wanted one for quite a while - I figured it would be good for my neck and back as well, not to mention the fact that I probably won't have 20/20 vision for the rest of my life. But, then again when I had my eyes checked last year, my vision improved!

Thanks again!

Lori
www.LoriRistinen.com

Tags
blade, knife