MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 01-09-2001, 05:56 PM
CKDadmin

Cool applications ...

I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in a running topic for cool applications that we've found over time ...

Is that something anyone would be interested in?

Alex
Old 01-09-2001, 08:23 PM
primos

I could get into that big time. I try out all kinds of stuff. I'm sort of a software junkie.
Old 01-09-2001, 11:24 PM
CKDadmin

I'm the kind of software junkie that software junkies look up too!
:

Alex
Old 01-14-2001, 08:16 PM
CKDadmin

Here's a good source for some cool 32bit aps ...

32bit.bhs.com/

Alex

Old 01-14-2001, 09:02 PM
primos

Another cool source is Nonags.com. The name Nonags comes from the fact that they will not accept applications that have nag screens, whether they are Freeware or Shareware.

Shareware and Freeware are kept in separate areas. All apps are grouped by category. Nonags uses a rating system on all apps so that you'll know which ones they consider to the best in each category.

There are mirror sites all over the world. You can go to the main site and select your region, or cheat like I do and go straight to the North American mirrors. From there you can select the state nearest to you.

Home page: www.nonags.com/

American mirror sites: www.nonags.com/amer.html

Old 01-14-2001, 09:09 PM
primos

Another favorite of mine that is a bit more specialized is WebAttack.com. WebAttack deals primarily with apps relating to the web, such as browsers, browser add-ons, HTML authoring, firewall software, various text editors, etc. It's a top notch site that is updated daily.

Like Nonags, WebAttack has Shareware and Freeware separated into different areas. There are many categories as with Nonags, and WebAttack also rates the different applications. Another feature I like about WebAttack is screenshots. One click and you'll get a screenshot of the app you are interested in.

The URL is: www.webattack.com

Old 01-15-2001, 12:19 AM
CKDadmin

Guys ...

Terry and I are using an unspoken rule here. Maybe it's best that everyone knows the requirement. If you submit a source or link to software, that means you've used it, trust it and have good reviews of the service.

Here's a few more sources that I recommend:

www.filefarm.com/filefarm/index.phtml
www.softwareblast.com/
cws.internet.com/
www.jumbo.com/

One of my personal favorites:
filedudes.ionsys.com/win95/

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that once you download a file, be it from our sources or otherwise, you should scan the contents. Here's a link to Trend Micro online, which offers a free online file scanning service for anyone who is not using local scan protection.
housecall.antivirus.com/h...rt_pcc.asp

Alex

Old 01-15-2001, 06:38 PM
jeffj

Okay...here are my two favorite sites to browse:
www.sourceforge.net
www.freshmeat.net
These probably don't have much mass appeal, but have some very good pieces of software...all open source.

Jeff Jenness
Old 01-15-2001, 08:12 PM
primos

Hey Dr. Jenness! Good to see you again. I hope you'll be a regular to the Computer Center forum. You were a welcome and valuable asset to the old forum.

Old 01-15-2001, 11:05 PM
CKDadmin

Yeah ... Jeff's one of us!

Alex

Old 01-19-2001, 07:01 PM
jeffj

Sorry guys...I've been in and out lately...finishing a complete kitchen remodel. Went from a concrete floor with trenches to a completely new kitchen in about 2 months. I contracted most of it, but was doing a lot of the drywall, electrical and finish work. I'm glad to be back.

Jeff
Old 01-20-2001, 09:11 PM
CKDadmin

Jeff,

Nothing like the smell of freshly sanded joint compound, is there? Drywall is nice material when it's finished, unless you're like me and you chip golfballs in the house like an idiot!

Alex
Old 01-22-2001, 08:19 PM
dogman

www.gotapex.com

Go to the deals section. Everyday, the best deals from the web are posted here with any applicable web coupons (number provided) and rebates. I picked up a Canon BJC3000 printer for $25 after coupon and rebate from Staples and I picked up a 32X/12X/10X rewritable CD burner for $130 after coupon and rebate. You just can't beat it.
Old 01-23-2001, 02:21 PM
KnifeWife

So are we going to make a new area for this?
Old 01-23-2001, 03:22 PM
dogman

This is the Computer Center. I don't see a need to make something new. For the time being, let's just add to this thread, and look at expanding if it gets too big.