MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 01-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Guru

Koa & forged pattern weld

Hi all,

Thought you might like to see this one. The blade is DiamondG pattern weld that I traded some handle material for a while back. I forged this one to shape in a charcoal forge. Bolster is Nickel Silver, then there is a copper, mammoth ivory, copper, lapis, copper, mammoth ivory, copper spacer combo. Finally, the handle is figured Koa.

The picture isn't great, but there it is. I will try and get a picture to show why this one is a learning experience, knife. This is my first hidden tang of this type, and I really screwed it up, but learned a lot from it, so the next one should go better.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 01-09-2006, 02:11 AM

Can't see any screw-ups from here brother! Like #### nice to me.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 01-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Master

What Andrew said! Very nice work!

Paul Vandine
Old 01-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Guru

Sweeeet!!! Very nicely done!!

Old 01-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Guru

Ok, now I've got a picture of my major flaw. It actually started when I forged the blade. Left the tang a little too wide. Then I drilled out the handle Koa, did all the other work, fitted it together, and went to the finish sanding, that's when the flaw showed up.

Over all, I am happy with a lot of the parts of this knife. This is the first one of this style I have done. This is the first soldered on bolster for me, and it is the first stacked spacer I have done. Hope this serves as a warning to others, kind of bums me out that it happened at this stage, but the knife did teach me a lot, and it feels good in the hand (balances at the nickel silver bolster/guard). Next one will look better, and this one will be used hunting/camping/etc and tested.

--Carl

Old 01-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Living Legend

Its still a nice knife Carl.You could always do a rawhide wrap around the handle.Do you still have that KITH knife i made when I was a begginer a couple of years ago?This is alot better than that KITH knife!!

Old 01-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Guru

Yep, still have it.

The knife is a good one, will be very servicable in the field over the years, I'm sure. Took an edge like it really wanted it.

What I am most happy with is the fit and finish is there. You can see the blade/bolster junction, and the solder joint is very solid there.

I am going to do another of this style and try and get all the parts to come together. I think the next one will come together much better.

Funny thing about this one. I took it to work today, and if I would have been willing to let it out of the shop I could have easily had it gone. I am just not willing to let it go with flaws like this.

One other thing, the epoxy you see in the image is the epoxy from filling around the tang. The filling/penetration was great. No air bubbles, good fill. Again, another positive learning.

--Carl

Old 01-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Don't you just hate it when you grind through into where you drilled for the tang! After all these years I sometimes still do that. No surer way for me to ruin the best looking piece of wood in the shop than to stick it on a hidden tang and then start grinding!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Guru

Ed, yep, and this is one I was hoping to donate. Went out tonight and did the prep for the next one. I at least learned a lot on this one.

The second picture shows the wood much better, it was a nice piece of Koa, but at least I still have enough from the block to make a couple more knives from it.

--Carl

Old 01-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Living Legend

Carl you could always pop the handle off and make another handle for it.A mortised handle may lessen the risk of grinding through.Either way post a pic of whatever you decide to do.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Master

That's a pretty bold pattern on that steel. Overall, I like the knife quite a bit.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Guru

Yeah, I could grind the handle off, and re-handle it, but that would take more work than what I am doing, walking out to the forge, lighting the fire, and giving it another go. The blade will be a good test blade that I have already "ruined" so I don't have to worry about it while using it. Anyway, I took another piece of steel to the forge tonight, got it going and a nice blade forged out. My charcoal had burned down, and it was getting to bedtime for the kids, so I will do the tang tomorrow.

The pattern is really bold, this is the way Mike (DiamondG) made the bar. I have another one that isn't quite so bold (that is the one I am currently playing with). I really did like the way it turned out though, I think the bold worked on this particular knife fairly well.

I will post a pic of the follow-up blade when I get it done.

--Carl

Old 01-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Enthusiast

Wow, I thought I was the only one to do that. It happened on the hawkbill I posted here a while back. Luckily I didnt have the handle pinned on, so I just cursed endlessly, stamped my foot, frowned at it contemplatively for awhile and tossed that piece of rosewood into the forge. It turns out rosewood smells almost like incense when it burns!
Old 01-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Guru

Its still a nice looking knife Carl. I can imagine your frustration when that happened.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 01-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Guru

Actually Shane, that is the weird thing. With this knife, I decided not to rush anything and try and take my time. Sort of a zen thing. Whenever I got the urge to just push something through, I put the knife down and walked away. In the end, I ground into the pocket, thought "that sucks", finished her up as if she were perfect, and moved on. Really, I learned so much from this knife, I didn't feel bad at all.

I guess that means I have gone over the edge and am certifiable now, but just think what the next one is going to be like!

--Carl

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, knife, knives