MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 04-12-2020, 10:20 AM
Enthusiast

Latest attempt at a kitchen knife

My last couple. Both another attempt at a good kitchen knife. These both came out way better then any of the others. Grinds and handles both came out pretty good. And most importantly, cut nice. Both are 154CM 3/32 x 1 1/2. Olive wood and brass and walnut with brass and copper.
Gonna keep working at, trying new things. Gotta go back to You Tube and find some good handle grinding techniques. Stay safe everyone.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:35 PM
Guru

Beautiful knives. You did a good job Tex.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:00 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you sir.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:55 AM
Skilled

Nice! I like the hand rub finish on 154CM, what grit did you take them down to?

Old 04-16-2020, 07:31 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
Nice! I like the hand rub finish on 154CM, what grit did you take them down to?
Thank you. I took these to 800. I do everything by hand now. My equipment is all hobby grade. Making it work though. I really like your knifes so don’t be surprised if I make an amateur attempt. Thanks again for your feedback.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:55 PM
Master

Nice work! Looking good!

Old 04-18-2020, 07:06 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
Nice work! Looking good!
Thank you
Old 04-26-2020, 12:12 PM
Enthusiast

First off, I absolutely agree with the others - Nice Work.

One thing to consider, given that it is a kitchen/chef's knife, would be to pull the plunge grind back rearward towards the handle so that you do not have the ricasso coming down to the blade edge. The heel section of the blade is commonly used for chopping and other fine work. If you sharpen the blade a few times you will get to the point where that ricasso will prevent the blade edge at the heel from sitting flat on a cutting board and you will not be able to chop with this section.

The taper on the forward section of the handle looks spot on. You may consider moving that front bottom pin up a bit so you can round out the transition from handle to the back of the blade. Apparently a common grip that chefs sometimes use for fine work is a "pinch grip". This is where you to choke up on and pinch the blade ahead of the handle between index finger and thumb. Then the side of one of the other fingers will rests in that transition area to provide control.

Good luck,

-bill

Last edited by Wrankin; 04-26-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrankin View Post
First off, I absolutely agree with the others - Nice Work.

One thing to consider, given that it is a kitchen/chef's knife, would be to pull the plunge grind back rearward towards the handle so that you do not have the ricasso coming down to the blade edge. The heel section of the blade is commonly used for chopping and other fine work. If you sharpen the blade a few times you will get to the point where that ricasso will prevent the blade edge at the heel from sitting flat on a cutting board and you will not be able to chop with this section.

The taper on the forward section of the handle looks spot on. You may consider moving that front bottom pin up a bit so you can round out the transition from handle to the back of the blade. Apparently a common grip that chefs sometimes use for fine work is a "pinch grip". This is where you to choke up on and pinch the blade ahead of the handle between index finger and thumb. Then the side of one of the other fingers will rests in that transition area to provide control.

Good luck,

-bill
Thanks for taking the time for your feedback. I see what you mean about the ricasso. Definitely will do that on the next.

Tags
154cm, amateur, back, blade, brass, edge, finish, grinding, hand, handle, handles, hobby, kitchen, kitchen knife, knife, knives, make, making, scales, steel, walnut, what steel, wood