MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 02-24-2020, 06:33 AM
Enthusiast

First bowie

First try at bowie. Not perfect but I’m happy. First time doing something this big and first time doing a false edge. Props to Mother Nature for the olive wood.

Last edited by Tex65; 05-13-2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:09 PM
Guru

Not bad for a first try.

I would have gone with a thinner profile a bit. My first Bowie was a coffin handle Natchez Bowie. But it wasn't any great knife, as a matter of fact I still have it. LOL Never ht it and it was 3/16 O1. I ought to find it and take a pic. It was too slim, yours is a bit too thick, or clunky, shave off about 3/16 off the top. The false edge is a bit short for the length, could of been a little longer. You got the guard down pat, but what is that spacer material between the guard and wood? Aah maybe the double edge is ok on third look, maybe just needs to be pointed up a tad bit more. Hope I haven't devastated your Bowie knife aspirations Tex, but I've seen bigger and clunkier from veteran knife makers so it's all a matter of taste. As I said, not bad for a first try.

Last edited by jimmontg; 02-25-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:47 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
I would have gone with a thinner profile a bit. My first Bowie was a coffin handle Natchez Bowie. But it wasn't any great knife, as a matter of fact I still have it. LOL Never ht it and it was 3/16 O1. I ought to find it and take a pic. It was too slim, yours is a bit too thick, or clunky, shave off about 3/16 off the top. The false edge is a bit short for the length, could of been a little longer. You got the guard down pat, but what is that spacer material between the guard and wood? Aah maybe the double edge is ok on third look, maybe just needs to be pointed up a tad bit more. Hope I haven't devastated your Bowie knife aspirations Tex, but I've seen bigger and clunkier from veteran knife makers so it's all a matter of taste. As I said, not bad for a first try.
That’s why I post the pics. I need the advice. I made more then a couple mistakes. Where to start? The spacer material? I drilled the hole for the pin through the tang before I checked the fit at the guard. Wasn’t exactly right. Tried to fix it but didn’t have enough. Spacer pulled the handle tight. I did have more of a curve at the tip but ground the tip off doing the false edge. And I agree, the false edge should be a little longer. There is also a ding on the back side of the blade. Wobbled and couldn’t get 100% of it out. It is surprisingly balanced. A little front heavy but not really horrible. On to the next one.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:00 AM
Skilled

I think it looks great for a first bowie!

Old 02-28-2020, 10:54 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
Thank you
Old 02-29-2020, 02:26 PM
Master

That's great! The challenges in making them up you are well on your way and improving! I haven't made a bowie. I still have many bucket list knives to do.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
That's great! The challenges in making them up you are well on your way and improving! I haven't made a bowie. I still have many bucket list knives to do.
Thank you. Definitely do more. It was fun to make for sure.

Tags
a, art, bee, blade, bowie, bowie knife, coffin, edge, fac, first time, guard, handle, knife, knives, made, makers, making, material, post, profile, tang, thin, wood