MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 01-31-2020, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast

Practice, practice, practice

The last ones I finished. I did three of the same design to try for consistency. O1 and the handles are mesquite, a pretty cole acrylic and a canvas micarta. Some things I need to work on and modifications I need to make to some equipment. I’m pretty happy with the grinds. Need to work on my handle grinding and shaping. Think I might try some guards on the next ones. Paid a visit to my local Tandy store and got my leather working starter stuff. Yeah,, that’s a whole new animal I’m going at. Feel like they need homes. As always feedback is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6B48F489-9C9B-4D60-8553-6C57ECEFE7CD.jpeg (300.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Tex65; 05-13-2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:56 PM
Guru

Blade grinds look pretty good Tex

Yeah your handles could use a little rounding off, but they look pretty nice anyway. Your blades look really good.

Did you inquire at your Tandy store about when they'll have instructors available? They usually have free classes on Saturdays. Also did they have some nice 8oz half shoulders?
My very first knife sheath turned out alright because of what they taught me there. I tooled a simple border around it. Now I tool the whole sheath, why? Because I can.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:43 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Yeah your handles could use a little rounding off, but they look pretty nice anyway. Your blades look really good.

Did you inquire at your Tandy store about when they'll have instructors available? They usually have free classes on Saturdays. Also did they have some nice 8oz half shoulders?
My very first knife sheath turned out alright because of what they taught me there. I tooled a simple border around it. Now I tool the whole sheath, why? Because I can.
The folks at Tandy were awesome. I definitely plan on taking some classes there. Got a nice set of starter tools. They actually had full shoulders on sale so the rep helped pick out a nice one. She also recommended a instructional book. Super helpful. I used some to get a feel for the leather and the tools. Wanted to get my hands on. Watched a couple of Tandys videos as well. I think I’m going to enjoy working with leather.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:32 AM
Skilled

Grinds and profiles look great, those would be nice little skinners. Looking forward to seeing your sheath work!

Old 02-03-2020, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
Grinds and profiles look great, those would be nice little skinners. Looking forward to seeing your sheath work!
Thank you. I’m looking forward to working leather. Already figuring out go slow. Really hard adding back.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:33 AM
Guru

A double shoulder is a lot of sheaths.

It just occurred to me Tex, but did they tell you how to store your leather? Best to keep it rolled up with the top grain to the inside. Keeps the surface from oxidizing and away from light. Doesn't actually hurt anything, but it darkens in time and can do it in a fairly short time. I'd rather my leather develop a patina after I make it into something.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:46 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
It just occurred to me Tex, but did they tell you how to store your leather? Best to keep it rolled up with the top grain to the inside. Keeps the surface from oxidizing and away from light. Doesn't actually hurt anything, but it darkens in time and can do it in a fairly short time. I'd rather my leather develop a patina after I make it into something.
Yes sir. They explained pretty everything for a newbie. Seeing how I already messed up a couple i bought the right amount.

Tags
a, awesome, back, blade, blades, ca, design, first knife, grinding, guards, handle, handles, knife, knife sheath, leather, make, newbie, ore, profiles, sheath, sheaths, simple, store, tools