MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 12-27-2019, 07:16 AM
Enthusiast

Kitchen knife

Latest attempt at a kitchen knife. Getting better.

Last edited by Tex65; 02-24-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:41 AM
Guru

Looks pretty good.

What kind of steel is it? Is that handle Purple heart? Only thing I can criticize is I'd like a closer look at the blade from the top. I can tell it's 1/8 inch thick and for a chefs knife that thickness needs a grind to the spine so it slices better and it looks like you succeeded at that. Good job again.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
What kind of steel is it? Is that handle Purple heart? Only thing I can criticize is I'd like a closer look at the blade from the top. I can tell it's 1/8 inch thick and for a chefs knife that thickness needs a grind to the spine so it slices better and it looks like you succeeded at that. Good job again.
Thanks. It’s 1/8 O1 and yes it’s Purple Heart. The grind did not quite make it to the spine. Next one will go all the way. It does cut pretty well. I need to clean the edge up a bit. That’s more a sharpening issue. That’s a learning curve for me as well.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:24 PM
Guru

O1 is great steel.

As I got better I started using 3/32 or 0.090 for chefs knives The grind all the way to the spine wasn't as big an issue as with 1/8 inch. If you look most chefs knives are 0.090. Try making a smaller knife with the 3/32 and get some practice on the thinner material.

By the way in time that purple heart will get darker to almost brown. BTW with purple heart it helps to wipe the bottom of the scale with acetone or some solvent to get some of the oil off, with blood wood it's a necessity as they are both oily woods.

As for warping with the thinner O1, for the first 2 to 3 minutes after quench in 120 to 130 degree oil you can straighten it by hand. Wear some heavy gloves and have a vise ready, but in that window it is doable. After it reaches room temperature you'll have to check and straighten at temper the hard way.

If I was doing several pieces of O1 I'd only heat the oil to 120 because it will get too hot after several parts are quenched and they won't harden right. It also depends on the size of your quench tank too. Many knife makers to save money on oil will use a 4 to 6 in pipe to quench in. That's ok if you only do 1 or 2 knives, but those pipes warm up fast, an old fashioned candy thermometer comes in handy here.

Tags
blade, ca, chefs knife, clean, edge, grind, hand, handle, harden, hot, kitchen, kitchen knife, knife, knives, make, making, material, sharpening, steel, thickness, what kind, wood, woods